1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It doesn't rain in Seattle in the summer all that much. Also, little known fact: It actually rains more in NYC than Seattle. When I was in Seattle last summer I didn't want to come back.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i've never liked the idea of living in a big city where a car is a requirement.

1 person likes this.
  3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you read one more level of discussion up, you'd see that PB was primarily referring to the monthly cost of that debt, not the quantum of the debt itself. While refinancing doesn't reduce the debt level, it can reduce the servicing cost of that debt and therefore address his comment about high maintenance fees being the result of high debt

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

Depending on where you live you don't need one. Also, Seattle has a pretty decent bus system. Much better than New York, imo. Also, for a city where most people own cars there seems to be little traffic. My mind was blown when I was looking to cross the street outside of a crosswalk, cars actually just saw I wanted to cross and stopped. Zero beeping or anything. I was actually angry at them for not being pissed off at me. What gives!?!

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Hmm.

He mentioned a level of indebtedness, not of interest rates. Assuming that they're all paying above market interest rates that can be solved by refi seems to distract from that issue. But this will go nowhere...

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There's an inferred relationship here. You need to be able to read between the lines if you want to understand what people write. It would be tedious (it is actually...) to spell everything out all the time. Do you understand what "coop high fees" refer to in his original post? Coop maintenance fees are related to indebtedness only because of the servicing cost that debt carries. The level of debt itself has no bearing on the monthly fees. Refinancing a building mortgage to a lower rate is a way to reduce those "high fees".

1 person likes this.
  7. archetypal_yuppie

The relationship is not inferred, it is direct, mathematical. There is no need to read between the lines in understanding the relationships.

Have you worked at Enron?

If you make the assumption that the building is currently paying above market rates, then yes it is. Why make that assumption?

You're talking to a financial analyst, I get this stuff. I was merely choosing not to deflect blame (rhetoricially) for debt onto the possibility of above market interest rates, which you seem to want to do.

As I said earlier, this is going nowhere... not trying to be particularly adversarial, only answering because of your insinuations that I'm failing to read between the lines on the basics of the nature of debt, interest, and payments.

8. patrickBOOTH

As an ex investment banker I'm sure gdl gets it. Furthermore:

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Bowlmor Lanes also closed....

10. archetypal_yuppie

I can't see embedded videos on this site...

Bowlmor was priced for millionaires and billionaires, deBlasio's not gonna let that stick around.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wolfon

Wolfon Well-Known Member

12. patrickBOOTH

I've never been to Crumbs.

1 person likes this.
  13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Cupcakes are disgusting.

14. patrickBOOTH

I just can't afford to eat such things without turning into a total fatass. I push the calorie gambit as it is.

1 person likes this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Odd. I would've thought cupcakes were your thing. Maybe you've moved on to macarons?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  16. patrickBOOTH

Don't eat those either. Actually I don't think I have ever had one.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

being a macaron connoisseur or a multi-year Williamsburg resident who has never even had a macaron are both equally hipster despite their apparent polarity

1 person likes this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

(I was talking to conne)

^so if you're anti hipster you're still a hipster?

19. patrickBOOTH

To be honest, I am not really sure I know what a macaron is. Maybe I have had one? Off the top of my head, it is a cookie of sorts right? Can't remember the last time I ate a cookie.