Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

camera phones allow one to be nicely sly.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You mean because it looks so much classier while seated at dinner to be (ostensibly) typing out your important emails while ostentatiously holding your fancy phone over the table?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

They have completely different menus. The one in the city cannot do the ingredient tasting menu like the one at stone barns.

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

+1

For us, the real, genuine hospitality we enjoyed was the most important point. We've eaten at all of the restaurants of the same caliber here (and spend serious money, not just on food), but none of them made us feel as welcome and valued as EMP (without being with a "VIP"), a relationship I continue to enjoy to this day. I remember our captains' names and am on first name basis with front of the house, but I'm not a "baller" (although my birthday dinner was). Le Bernardin came the closest of the others to actually caring (or appearing) to care, but Daniel and Per Se may as well have told us to fuck off once the check was collected.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

well it was like that before, which is typical of a Danny Meyer restaurant, but before it lacked the card tricks, dumb stories, carrot tartare with your choice of 19 toppings, and whatever else they're doing these days. Just awesome food and awesome hospitality.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, this is exactly my point--some people adore EMP, some people, it's not their cup of tea. Very divisive. I don't think anyone could argue that they arent doing well from a technical perspective, but some people just don't go in for the whole combination.

The carrots did annoy me, I must say. One dish I do remember, but not for a good reason. I know some people who really loved that dish, but I just didn't get it.

I'm thinking our poor service was a fluke. Gome's Danny Meyer point is a good one. In hindsight, I'm sure if we'd mentioned it, they'd have fallen all over themselves trying to make it right. Maybe we really did catch them on an off night, as inexcusable as that is at a restaurant of that caliber.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've only been to jean Georges and Daniel in the city but I also prefer blue hill stone barns over those two

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Stone Barns lacks a key NYC feature - being able to overdo it on food and wine and just walking out and raising your hand in the air for a ride right to your door.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Interesting that I found BH in the city to be quite forgettable - bordering on the bland with Barber's "light" approach to seasoning there.

Whereas BHSB is memorable in every possible way from the wonderful setting to the much more affirmed flavors. Best way to enjoy it IMO is lunch because that room is beautiful in daylight. Anything there using Berkshire pig is an absolute win.

10. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I totally get why the show at EMP would be off putting. It's essentially the opposite of Le Bernardin where we asked the waiter to describe the turbot preparation and he literally told us that it was prepared perfectly. Which it was but felt clear from soup to nuts that Le Bernardin is for people who want to enjoy their meal but not necessarily talk about it. It's just too somber for me. I preferred Lespinasse back in the day for that type of experience and to this day the nicest dining room I have been to in the states. By comparison EMP felt like a German train station. I adore Jean Georges and return almost every time I'm in the city for more than a few days.

Would love to check out Bras one day as it sounds like Manresa but, you know, French. Manresa may be a touch too precious but it didn't bother me.

Also, as far as wine goes I almost always do the pairing. At Manresa I didn't want the full pairing so I asked the waiter to pick about three glasses for me to bridge the courses. He ended up bringing me champagne, gevurtz, fume blanc (I think), and then a half glass of cab franc and a half glass of something else. I think he threw in Madeira or port gratis with dessert. Absolutely nailed the pairings on the fly and it maybe cost me $50 total. Pairing at EMP was creative and really well done. Especially loved how they transitioned from champagne to a black velvet.

11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I thought Blue Hill in the city was fucking terrible in every way and wouldn't go back there at gunpoint.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Leaving NYC now. Have to say was surprised by the number of homeless, beggars, and other indigents I saw this week. I thought SF was bad but the people in NYC seem far more intrusive to me. I pretty much just ignore them and walk by in SF when I see them.

My wife pointed out that we spent more time subway surfing than we do in SF so we were more exposed to it in NYC. Either way we don't have anywhere close to the professional beggars/annoyers in SF that take over a pub trans car and hold you captive for one or more stops. Also subway stations are frequently panhandler heavy. I don't know of this was just more noticeable to me in light of the recent discussion here or what but it was hard not to notice. My wife pointed out that I never really did a public transit commute in SF nor have I been a tourist in SF so I don't have as close a reference point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I enjoy the subway car breakdancers.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I dislike how you have to wait 20 min for them to finally do something. It's always mostly hype time.

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

show time! show time! show time! show time, ladies and gentlemen! show time! show time! show time! show time!