Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

blue hill at stone barns is better than anything in the city

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Have wanted to try the tasting there as well.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Well, I will say this, the feeling I got from them was that they wholeheartedly embrace food geekdom.

While I am a geek, I would never pull out my camera or iPhone at a place like Le Bernardin, where it is apparent that regulars are highly favored and the atmosphere is extremely somber. In contrast, at EMP, every table seemed to be from out of town and there were a number of younger couples and groups who probably had to save up especially for the meal. Cameras were out everywhere and waiters were eager to help take pictures. Maybe the restaurant's current stardom is to blame, but it definitely has the atmosphere of a destination restaurant, for good and bad.

To some extent that all turns me off (who wants to feel like a tourist?), but it was refreshing to eat somewhere that so openly embraces the enthusiasm of its guests. Whatever "taste" points might be deducted, I think just as many points are earned back for hospitality.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Good to know, thanks. Wife has been pushing it, may have to try it before Del Posto.

5. mafoofan

Bernardin is impeccable and I want to love it, but our last dinner there was sort of forgettable, to be completely honest. I hate to say it, but it was sort of boring.

Del Posto is okay, but if I want expensive Italian, I would go to Marea instead.

Never tried Jean Georges.

Blue Hill (in the city; never been out to Stone Barn) was fantastic. Went there with whnay. Everyone thought it was a phenomenal meal.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I do very much agree with this, for better and for worse. Was the same type of crowd when we were there as well.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

when I ate at Bras, it was all out of towners. But no nerdy people with cameras.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Marea is very, very good.

Lots of votes for Blue Hill. We may have to go there for our birthdays in January.

Has been several years since we went to Le Bernardin (2009, I believe). The thing that sticks out to me most there was that we got the best wine service we have had anywhere. We made much less money then and had to save up, and our wine budget was quite small--$100 or less if I recall. Despite this, the sommelier (Aldo Sohm himself, not some lackey) took the time to listen to what we liked in wines, ask what we'd ordered, made some suggestions, and after we'd picked, stopped by to check in, make sure we liked the wine, tell us a bit more about it, etc. Was quite impressed, particularly given our small-timer status. This is something you'd hope you'd get anywhere, but has sadly not been true. EMP was particularly egregious about this, unfortunately, even though we spent much more on wine there.

9. mafoofan

We whipped out cameras at Maialino, so we cannot claim innocence.

10. Manton

stone barns kicks blue hill in the city in the balls and then laughs as it doubles over in pain

11. mafoofan

Yes. Skip Del Posto. I like other Italian restaurants in the city better. Il Gattopardo is better and more "honest."

12. mafoofan

How could they be that different? All the same stuff from the same place, no?

13. Manton

Don't know. It's possible they don't use all the same stuff, that a lot of the farm stuff doens't get carted down. Possibly it's a matter of space and equipment. No doubt there is a staff element. Stone Barns has the bigger rep and Barber is there most night so a talented cook will prefer to be there than downtown. I think they just attract better people.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

different type of place.

15. mafoofan

Eh. Generally, I am shameless. I'd whip it out anywhere if I felt like it.