Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How was it? Worth watching?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Almost everything is worth watching.

It was good. Similar to O'Mast really. The interesting part to me was this young guy who learned under one of the tailors to cut and draft patterns and fit and is now working at Martin Greenfield. I wonder if he takes commissions..?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

This is getting weird. There is now a high-class, properous looking, able-bodied beggar about ever 2-3 blocks on Park.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Post "No Man's Land" the 1 stop at 50th St smelled like sewage. Horrendous. We get on the train for some respite (lol) and then when the doors opened at 42nd an overpowering stench of skunk (WTF) forces it's way into the subway car :fu:

5. Manton

Also, the MTA sucks worse than ever. Massive lateness every day this week.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've actually caught trains right as I've arrived at the station multiple times this week, including this morning.

7. Manton

This is getting very weird. Three times in the last ten days--in Midtown--I have been directly accosted by healthy looking, (reasonably) well dressed, clean, non-smelly white people--which is to say, not the typical panhandler demographic--just flat out asking me for money. I get so flummoxed I don't know what to say. They look like the kind of people who are lost and want directions. But no, they want money. No cover story, they just say, "Excuse me, can I have $20?"

WTF is going on?

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Early onset Alzheimer's. Those are your kids and you're just failing to recognize them.

9. patrickBOOTH

I have been noticing a lot more younger white dudes asking for money on my train. There is one particular surly one. He is always irritated and pissed off nobody is giving him money. He used to have a beard and a normal haircut, but he recently shaved his head and beard. He looks like a baby rat now.

10. Manton

When you see him in a mohawk a la Travis Bickle, that's when you start taking another train. Shit's about to get real.

11. Wade

Wade Senior member

I think I know who you're talking about
    The L train? I think I've seen him on the 6 too

12. patrickBOOTH

Yep, that's him. He's getting worse. I think he might have shaved his eyebrows off too a la "Pink" from The Wall. I wonder if he's a fascist.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

13. patrickBOOTH

There is this one guy, scruffy looking, but I don't think homeless. I have been seeing him at least 3 times a week for probably the last 5 years or so. Every time he sees me he makes fun of me. Me only too. He will turn to me and say things like, "those glasses are stupid", or "your jacket doesn't fit you", or "you look so dumb". I am not a tailor or anything, but I don't think this man is qualified to asses the fit of my jackets. But in all seriousness this man hates me for some reason. Also, when nobody gives him money he says, "Well, I hope all you cheap assholes have a shitty day!" I can't help but roll my eyes.

This other guy I see almost daily sits on a milk crate eating Chinese food reading the paper. About every 20 seconds, without looking up from his paper with pick up his jar and shake the change around in it, set it back down and continue eating his Chinese food. It is comical.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i know of one similar guy who always haunts around 59th Street. Scruffy voice, young guy overall, always pissed off that nobody is giving him money. "can anybody PLEEEEEEZE help me for fuck's sake" as he paces around.

i actually saw him this morning dressed quite nicely. new kicks, new hat, etc.

15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Sounds like our homeless are turning into the homeless of Portland, OR.