Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

SB, I didn't even know you were in town. Next time, let us know so we can organize drinks or something.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

weren't you cold? Sunday was quite nippy. Monday even worse.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

My wife convinced me a couple years ago that we should shut down our facebook pages due to some privacy concerns. It was incredibly liberating.

It's absolutely terrible for you and completely logical that it would be. I've always been surprised how seldom I see articles about the negative side effects of habitual distance running.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I flew in on Friday, had to go to the expo and the charity's dinner on Saturday, raced on Sunday, and left on Monday morning. It was my first marathon, and I didn't have any idea how it would affect me, so I tried to keep the weekend low-key. I should have flown in on Thursday so I could meet up on Friday. Next time, definitely. Hell, I didn't even buzz lefty.

I was cold sitting on the ground in Staten Island for nearly three hours waiting for my start time, and then I was cold after the race. I thought the temps were perfect during the day. Sunday night down by the WTC was downright nippy, though.

I just realized that I was in midtown around lunch time on Saturday, and I didn't go to Super Taste. You're the one who loves the soup, right?

Why is it terrible for you? And at what point is it distance running? I think it really depends on the person. I don't think I'd want to run more than one marathon in a year, but I feel fine after half-marathons.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried running in college when I was trying to lose weight. Everybody told me to stick with it and I will get to a point where I will love to do it. Kept on telling me to keep at it and wait until this magical "zen" like state occurred. Well, it didn't. I hated every last second of it for the year I did it. I then stopped running and still lost 100 pounds.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I used to be the same, then at some point, actually did start enjoying it.

I still don't love it, and the first 5-10 minutes are just shitty every time, but I find that I do get into it after a mile or so, and I feel great afterwards.

7. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

I did not know this about you.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

My exercise is raising a glass of bourbon or wine to my mouth, and putting it down again. Works great.

10. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

I don't have quite that much to lose, but I may have to pick your brain some time.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yeah, but that's downtown. Sort of near WTC. sort of.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I tried running in my 20s, and I hated it. But no one told me that the first mile pretty much always sucks. When I kinda backed into it in my late 30s, I found that I liked it, at least more than any other exercise I had tried. If you hate it, you definitely shouldn't do it.

I lost maybe 10 lbs. with steady exercise (only about 10 miles/week), but I had to start tracking my caloric intake before real weight started to come off and stay off. I'm down 30 lbs. from my peak, give or take a lb. or two.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Calories are 90% of the ballgame--the exercise is just icing on the cake.

Unless you get into something intense like cycling, where you can ride hard for 2-3 hours and legitimately burn > 1000 calories in a workout. But most people, myself included, don't have time for that.

14. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

That's exactly my issue — I used to be that active (cycling and soccer my entire life) but now barely have time for anything athletic. Combined with an intense love of food and Conne's fav pastime, well, the outcome is unsurprising.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I hear you. I used to be big into cycling, and could eat whatever I wanted. Now, not so much.

I basically just keep it very light throughout the week--light breakfast, light lunch, light dinner--so that I can enjoy myself on the weekends not gain weight.