Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i should be more clear, I have no problem touching the poles either, but I like the creature comfort of gloves.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I don't get sick too often, luckily, but when I first moved to New York, I was sick that whole first winter. Took me a while to realize it was probably the subway/general close quarters to gazillions of people. Started washing my hands pretty frequently after that. Not sure if it was a fluke, the hand-washing did the trick, or if my immune system just got stronger, but I haven't had another winter like that one since.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I changed my address online last year, but don't think that you actually need to get the card changed:

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i don't think it's necessary either, but nobody related to me lived at the address that was on my license.

5. Wade

Wade Senior member

Regarding the address change for DMV, when i first got my license, i had my apartment as the address and when i received it i realized it was probably better to have my parents' permanent address as the address so i changed it online and i think it said they would mail me a new card in a couple of weeks. A month and a half go by, no new license so i call the DMV, someone told me that there was a fee for a new card but that as long as the online system had the correct one, it was fine. I declined paying the fee for a new license. A month after that, i got a license in the mail with my parent's address even though i didn't pay anything or had anymore contact with DMV after that phone call

6. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

I have been putting this off for years. Some time long, long ago I lost my Social Security card — which I need in order to switch my license from my last state of residence to a New York license. However, getting a new Social Security card requires that I go to a Social Security office, since they won't accept photocopies of my current license/passport in order to process my application for a replacement by mail.

Ugh.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Reminds me that I need to update my passport.

8. dadanrobiha

dadanrobiha New Member

i think so,Blue laws do apply to restaurants, they can't serve booze until noon.thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Seems kind of strange to me that you don't need to get a new card.

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Well, this is timely. http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/11042013-expansion-of-online-dmv-services

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

my facebook news feed is still being shitted up with marathon people, but now they're just blowing each other over "such an amazing accomplishment". christ, will it ever stop???

wife was in Whole Foods yesterday and apparently a bunch of blow hards were still wearing their marathon medals.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Now that is just ridiculous.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i called those people boners. she agreed.

14. patrickBOOTH

I don't really understand the whole marathon thing. Why are they lifted up as being so "heroic". I mean, it is not like they saved a bunch of children from a burning school bus, or donated their lives to helping others. I mean, who gives a shit? People run a lot all the time at gyms across the whole city. What am I missing?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  15. patrickBOOTH

Come to think of it I was on the subway at 11:30pm last night and a guy was wearing the cape thing. I wanted to push him onto the tracks.