Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, they are pretty new. I went for a friend's birthday party. Huge group. She knew the head bartender so all of our drinks were free. Good thing they told us at the end...

I'm definitely going back.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Please do try Il Gattopardo or the Leopard. Extremely well-executed southern Italian. Spare use of very high-quality ingredients, prepared meticulously. What you'd eat in southern Italy if southern Italy weren't so poor.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

If I'm on the uws, I'm going to that prosciutto place. Rosso something?

4. mafoofan

Salumeria Rossi. It is mediocre. But not nearly the scam that is the UES location.

Leopard is far superior, for about the same price. The optimal bang-for-your-buck option on the UWS: Celeste.

You can tell these places are awesome because the negative reviews hate them for all the wrong reasons.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

the book is better

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Great story behind the book as well.

7. mafoofan

No book is better than a competently prepared spaghetti carbonara.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Gattopardo is very good, but there's a handful of Italian places I'd pick before Gattopardo. Charlie Bird, Maialino, Sfoglia, Tocqueville (does this count as Italian), Locanda Verde, Marea, Babbo...

9. mafoofan

Most of these are different species of Italian restaurant.

Marea is in a different pricing stratosphere, so it's really not comparable. Also, it is strictly seafood-focused, so it does not share the same genre. It is more a seafood restaurant than an Italian restaurant. Try getting out of there spending less than $200 a head. We went with Nay a few months ago and it cost a fortune. Worth every penny, but it is a place for a 'special' dinner. Gattopardo we could eat at more regularly.

Maialino is not southern Italian. It is very good, but things like the liver ravioli we had, while excellent, are the complete antithesis of what Gattopardo does. To my mind, the best Italian is about simple, high-quality ingredients prepared very transparently. It is about making a lot out of a little. Maialino is not as pure in execution as Gattopardo or Leopard--maybe it is equally adacious (i.e. the pig head), but it is also trying much harder to impress New Yorkers. Gattopardo is underwhelming to a lot of people who go there expecting over-the-top Manhattan-style Italian. That is a good thing to me.

Babbo/Lupa/Del Posto are good, but do not approach Gattopardo. They are somewhat more sanitized for Americans. Also, I hate the sorts of people who eat at Lupa, though it is my favorite of the three.

10. patrickBOOTH

Frost Restaurant is probably the most authentic based on how my grandparent's cooked when I was young. Nobody has ever heard of it though.

11. mafoofan

Would that be more generations-old Italian-American cooking, or how they cooked when you visited them in Italy?

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i still like them better overall. I'm ok with being unpure.

13. mafoofan

If I'm not looking for spare, transparent preparation of ingredients traditional to Italy, I'd go for French or Chinese food over Italian every single time. If I want stupid comfort food, I would not pick any of the above Italian restaurants, including Gattopardo/Leopard; I'd call the nearest restaurant with a name ending in a vowel and red-and-white checkered tables, and have them deliver a fettucince alfredo with garlic bread on the side and a tiramisu bowl to finish.

14. patrickBOOTH

They cooked it here, however they were both from Italy. Basically pretty simple dishes, but very flavorful.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I made the neapolitan version of genovese last week, as opposed to my family's version (who are actually from Genoa). It was different. The recipe needs refinement but I would try again.