Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The thing that just blows my mind is that these guys regularly and flagrantly violate the law, driving like mad men on illegal bikes without plates, and get away scot free. It is so easy to get away scot free that they feel bold enough to have scheduled group rides where they do just this kind of insane thing.

I don't know what the answer is--it's probably a good thing the NYPD isn't getting into high speed chases with assholes on motorcycles... But just, WTF.

2. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I'm not really much of a gun person, but if the window bashing had happened in a crowded Houston intersection, I can guarantee you the basher would not have walked away.

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I am a reasonable gun person (I grew up in the South, what can I say), but that seems like a terrible idea. You are surrounded on all sides by 100 guys who clearly do not care about the law. With your wife and child in the back. What are the odds that none of them are also carrying? 100% the driver would have ended up dead, shot multiple times, and likely his wife and child too.

He did the right thing by flooring it and getting the fuck out of dodge. His mistake was in not locking his doors and in getting off the highway.

Not to go any more CE than this already is.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'm sure Manton would contest this quote:

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yep. Not to mention pedestrians, other drivers, other cyclists, etc.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

If that is true, then all the other railroads in the nation must be shit-awful.

But I will say, that M-N used to be on time, every train every day. I started to notice it slip in 2010. It got perceptibly, but slowly, worse over the next two years, and then fell completely off a cliff this year.

Part of the reason they can claim a high "on time" % is that they define "on time" as being up to 6 minutes late. 6 minutes does not sound like much but when you figure it as the % of the total time of the scheduled trip, it's a lot. The equivalent of a flight being 1-2 hours late, which everyone would agree is truly "late."

Also, the article does not take into account the way that M-N has this year padded the schedule. Train rides that used to be on the sked for (say) 28 minutes were upped to 33 and then to 36. So right there the trip is already longer. Most of that is just because the trains never run at full speed any more and spend half the time at a dead stop.

And then, even with the padded schedules, they are STILL late every day. About half, or more, of the time within the 6 minute window, so they don't count as late, but a good % of the time they violate that.

Another BS trick they do is with trains leaving GC. The doors always close on time and then the train "leaves." It goes about 100 feet or whatever and then stops. You wait 5-10 minutes. Voila, the train left "on time." Doesn't count against their stats. But you are still late getting home and ride was longer than it needed to be.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Maybe the metro north should hire train conductors from Spain who'll make up the time discrepancy?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

that video was amazing

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i wonder if he'll be summoned for this.

is it too early for a "now he finally has a set of wheels that he can legally use" type of joke?

11. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Totally agree.

12. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

Does locking doors help when someone smashes your windows? The cyclist could've reached his hand in to unlock.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The guy in the hospital is already lawyered up:

http://gothamist.com/2013/10/03/severely_injured_dirt_bike_rider_re.php

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

oh jesus fucking christ

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The queen of bottom feeders

btw, this is exactly why the US desperately needs a loser-pays rule for torts. They can bankrupt that driver even if he wins the case. Meanwhile, allred will take the thug's case on contingency. He has nothing to lose. She stands to lose some time and money but will in either outcome gain priceless publicity.

The only loser is the driver--whehter he wins or loses. The process IS the punishment.