1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Completely agree

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

October 4 and it's 95% humidity, going up to 80 degrees. I've been wearing linen shirts since may and tropical or fresco suits, the very lightest ones I have, and I still sweating through my clothes every day. I am convinced the MTA has cut the air on trains. certainly on the commuter trains.

Every suit I have has been caught in at least one downpour, they all look like complete hell. I have no convenient way to get them pressed, unless I get them all cleaned, whcih they don't need.

I really can't stand this. There's a reason why I don't live in the tropics but the tropics have decided to come to me, permanently it seems.

3. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

But that's what makes the city great!

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the high is going to be in the upper 50's and low 60's all next week. Somebody will get the swamp ass relief they so desire.

5. Manton

going to cafe boulud today on someone else's expense account, that does indeed make the city great. Then I have a tasting of vintages of Ch. Montelena going back to 1974, which is also great. So will try to complain a little less.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

hint: if one decides to treat their wife and their sister to a quick Sunday brunch at Cafe Boulud, be aware that a mimosa costs $19. Nineteen dollars.

but yes, your day sounds pretty awesome.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  7. jeskali

jeskali Senior member

whenever complaining that manhattan sucks, please go visit any other city in this country. the only ones worth even considering as a comparo IMHO are SF and Chicago. SF is beautiful, but the weather genlly sucks and it does not have 1/10 as much to offer as NY. It is entirely more liveable and the areas nearby outside the city have a lot to offer. However, its prohibitively expensive and nightlife is completely boring in comparo. Chicago is awesome, nothing bad to say except that the weather is horrific.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sir, the weather in San Francisco is ideal.

9. Manton

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

but i hear it can get hot, and when it does, nobody has AC.

11. Manton

true, no AC in most of the bay area all the way down to Monterey

12. sugarbutch

It was "hot" this week. Low 90s. Left the windows open and ran the fan. No problem. We get two weeks a year with weather like that, and the rest is gravy. There is no better climate for the fan of tailored clothing, IMO.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

If one stays perfectly still then yes the weather can be lovely and predictable. If, however, you walk down the street and turn the corner all bets are off.

I think I experienced six weather systems this morning in my one mile walk to pier 39.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You do know that they have invented:

-Umbrellas
    -Anti-perspirant

(Also curious...do you wear undershirts??)

15. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

So I've started watching Gallery Girls ever since it was mentioned here and I've noticed that everyone talks on their phone via loudspeaker, is this a New York thing or is it just for camera purposes?

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

in my experience only the elderly and boastful ethnic people purposely use the speakerphone function on their cellphones in NYC... :teach:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  17. sugarbutch

Use of a speakerphone in a non-private context is grounds for banishment from civilization.

18. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Did IHOP take over the Limelight or did that idea die the painful and violent death it deserved?

19. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

those damn ethnic Italic-Americans

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Fall in the Hudson Valley or Adirondacks is wonderful, but fall in NYC is lame IME.

I think I have the same problem as Manton. At times I'll sweat through a lightweight worsted suit in fuckin' February. This summer was atrocious, my 10 minute walk to work became a trudge through the Congo.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012