Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I really feel like they just patch it up and move on. No one takes a step back and realizes that they are doing this every single day, and that this indicates a broader problem.

2. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

The massive amounts of construction makes this the most active the MTA has been in addressing some of the tangible problems plaguing the subways in possibly forever.
    They take the same approach as Con Edison. In the short term, they make a pretty penny, but they've been hemorrhaging cash for years and blame the workers instead of their own poor planning.

To be fair, it is actually pretty prohibitively costly (financially and temporally) in the short term in both instances to do a proper overhaul. Plus, I don't think there's any one person who knows about all of the issues plaguing the subways in the MTA.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Couldn't they just read this thread?

4. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

The execs are most likely illiterate, and I'm pretty sure almost nobody working on the subways will ever visit SF [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

we were moving along great today and I was all "Wow, going to be on time for the first time in 2013!" and then we got about halfway down the Park Ave tunnel and came to a dead stop for 15 minutes. no explanation.

also, it is time for summer to buzz off, thx

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

7. Manton

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

9. Manton

I've always thought there was something scary about Riverside Park. It's very foreboding and inaccessible. Just the perfect place for criminals.

Death Wish was set there.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

^ Completely agree. That said, if I lived near it I'd still probably run in it every morning.

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Apparently the motorcyclist who is in the hospital has a long history of driving like an asshole--he has been ticketd 16 times since 1999 and Massachusets revoked his right to drive until 2017.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...nyc-incident-involving-suv-and-motorcyclists/

Yeah, the whole "he's innocent, this monster paralyzed him!" story being spouted by his wife holds about as much water as a fish net.

Actually, a pretty good rundown of the whole thing from Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-terrifying-suv-vs-1440131015

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^maybe if the wife was took the stance of: "My husband was gravely injured, I'm so sorry for what happened, but please please help." then I bet there would be more sympathy (especially in the form of financial help) rather than such Schadenfreude (if you go to their facebook page, its just people reacting totally negatively towards him/the wife).

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

14. Manton

God, the more I read the more I think these guys should all just be mowed down with automatic weapons.

15. Manton

So, in the old days of the William Parker LAPD (late 40s, early 50s) LA had a big problem with drag racing. Kids would basically try to close down pubic roads, but their methods were not fool proof and occasionally some random person got injured or killed by unknowingly venturing into a drag race. The cops had decent intel and could sometimes find out where the races would be but the kids would all scatter and few would be caught.

Then the LAPD came up with the following ingenious, two-pronged solution.

1) Pay informers to tell the cops when/where the next rally point would be. They would usally all gather in the parking lot of some diner before going to the race site. When they did, the cops would simply arrest them all. Off course, at that point no one had yet done anything wrong. But this was the Parker LAPD and that really didn't matter. So, now all the kids had a "sheet" and mommy & daddy had to come get them out of jail. This put something of a damper in the festivities.

2) When an actual race happened and the cops were able to get there and break it up, they would give chase but to only one or two, making sure that they caught at least one. Whom they proceeded to stomp into the ground as only the old LAPD knew how to do it. Then they would not arrest this kid. Rather, they'd let him wander back home or wherever. The point was to make sure his buddies saw what happened to him. Effective deterrent. Mommy&Daddy sometimes complained but, again, this was the Parker LAPD which was completely untouchable. They could get away with anything.

The problem was basically solved in a few months.