Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I think it would be a great idea for you to walk into an unemployment office and tell everyone there that they shouldn't worry about getting a job or making money, and that they should instead focus on developing a better understanding of the human mind.

I'll bring the video camera.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

This is a ridiculous thing to say. You cannot know how happy you would have been under conditions you've never actually experienced.

This is even more ridiculous.

Being a good parent obviously requires you to pressure your children. The key is knowing how much pressure to apply, not to simply apply none. It should go without say, but children are not born fully-realized people--they do not possess the facilities or knowledge to reach their long-term goals and their goals themselves are subject to conditioning and education.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

We all perceive separate experiences. In reality, we are all a part of the same consciousness. That truth exists regardless of any kind of financial circumstances.

4. mafoofan

Please explain in a way that makes sense and matters. I dare you.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I for one, understand him on the consciousness line, however disagree with the broad generalization of people in New York. They seem to be at odds with each other.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Correct. I can't possibly know if I would or would not have been truly happy in Chicago, but I can know that I followed my intuition in deciding not to move, and in this case (and every case of following my intuition) I have been led to something that has made my life the way it currently is. So, for me, it is not necessary to waste time thinking "what if?".

This statement is based on the presumption that a child is born without individual qualities. A blank slate. I would strongly disagree. Pressure is placed on children both by parents and society, not to develop into something unique, but rather to shed the innate nature of the individual and conform to what is acceptable. There is never any conditioning or education necessary to be what you truly are.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You take lifespring, or est?

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

You will understand, but only when it is your time. :foo:

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Thank you, oh enlightened one.

Aren't you going to tell us that we need to let go of suffering?

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Not let go of suffering. Understand suffering. :)

11. mafoofan

This is a much smarter proposition than your previous one. Understanding when it is useless to try knowing something is not the same as claiming to know it.

No, the analysis is based on the presumption that the optimization of at least some of a person's qualities are detemined by conditioning, not that he is born a completely blank slate.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I wonder if the rats in NYC are more frightening than the ones I used to encounter in Detroit. In Detroit they would stand in the shadow, and in a Darth Vader voice say, "Heeerrrreeee kitty, kitty."

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Okay, but to return to the original argument, conditioning does not mean pressure. Pressure is born out of fear, and can only ever help to create more fear.

14. mafoofan

Suffering is intrinsic to the pursuit of goals, and thus, to the extent one believes pursuing goals contributes to happiness, one must tolerate suffering. To the extent one wants to maximize his happiness in pursuing goals, he is best off if he can learn to appreciate suffering, not just tolerate it..

Is that what you are getting at? Because, otherwise, "suffering" is not difficult to understand.

15. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Do you know how to write? Are you happy that you know how to write?

Did you want to spend all that time practicing writing as a child, or did someone pressure you to do so?