Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Clearly you know not much about the outer boroughs. I live in Brooklyn(Boerum Hill.) Beautiful townhouses all around(sell for 3 mil+.) It's 3 stops to lower Manhattan. Great location for bars/restaurants/hanging out(Smith Street/Court Street/etc.) Great looking women! And it's great to not have to be in the city 7 days a week(working and living.)

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i messed up my knee while running last night (evidentally "run through the pain!" was a terrible idea), so I got to be "that cripple" who was holding up everybody on the stairs down to the train this morning.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Certainly. But there is a benefit to be had when you can remain free, mentally and financially, for as long as necessary to fully grasp and understand the life worth living.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just sounds like a whole bunch of empty generalizations to me, actually. Finding yourself? Life outside of buying shit? You make it sound like living in NYC is all work and shop, that there's nothing there to find or develop passions, interests or relationships. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth, right? What better place to "find yourself" than surrounded by the diversity of these people and experiences? Does one have a better chance to "find himself" when exposed to more limited choices? If I live in a cabin in the woods, do I really find myself because I'm there all by myself, or is that self I'm finding basically shaped by the narrow array of experiences that my life there is offering me?

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If you live in NYC, your office location should have no bearing. You can get to any location by subway/bus.
    Someone once asked...."are there any X-type companies around Grand Central because i want to job hunt there since I take the Metro North." Huh......
    Get off the Metro North and take the subway to where ever your job is.

6. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

A Brooklyn heights man at heart. Though I don't think you're an aging hip parent.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i find that the less self-discovery I do, the better I think of myself.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

GDL practises his speech when the kids come him and say, "we're bored."

lefty

9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

GF isn't an idiot, knows how to save and can figure out whether he wants to live in NYC and have a car in Jersey or not. I think the people criticizing him for having a car out there don't realize that he treats his car as his primary hobby. Other people might like skiing, fishing, or going to the shore and lo and behold you have to leave the city for all those things too.

There's nothing that mystical about NYC. It's a denser, larger metropolis than anywhere else in the US and it largely has better business opportunities in certain industries, but despite all the puffery people there aren't dining on the souls of the damned or the flesh of innocent children (except I guess that cop who went jeffrey dahmer on people).

Also, I think another way of saying what Gomes says is that if you can't make it in NYC, you probably can't make it anywhere.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I didn't say it's impossible. It is ultimately your own choice how you decide to live, regardless of your surroundings. But for a young person, I know it is increasingly more difficult to maintain some semblance of peripheral vision in a place like NYC.

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'd rather live in DC.

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

You're an idiot.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

DC is ok, though I was only there for a few months.

14. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I agree. One should really get out of the city and spend time among the 4000 square foot McMansions to appreciate how there is life outside of making money and buying shit.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I had friends there (who have since moved on) and I used to visit a lot. I thought it was spectacular.

I know the slope is the target of a lot of h8 (stroller rage) but some of the meals I have had were fantastic.