Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

It's an observation, not a judgement. The simple matter of fact that there is life outside of making money and buying shit. Living in a place like Manhattan can make one lose sight of this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Pay for my deposit and you can take my car whenever you want, wherever you want.

But you're footing the bill for any accidents.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

As an aspirational board member you need to understand the bigger picture and decide what information to process and what information to ignore.

4. patrickBOOTH

Yes, but this is a broad generalization.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

There is life outside of manhattan. Brooklyn is cool. I never had a problem with street parking. It's not that really not worse than more popular neighborhoods in Boston. When I lived in back bay I had a harder time parking than NY.

6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    When people say : I want to live in NYC..." do they really mean : "I want to live on Manhattan Island above Downtown and Below 98th street?', am I wrong?.
    Because I cannot imagine why anyone would want to live in Queens, Bronx or Brooklyn...

To those aspiring to live at least temporarily in Manhattan and experience NYC , I wholeheartedly support that quest. It is a great exp. , but only if you have cash or a student on NYU campus. If you are working poor it is not experience you are going to cherish. Manhattan is very small and very small part of that small island is interesting or inhabitable. It is still a party place and social hive and offers great cultural attractions, but it wears thin quickly.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'd live in Queens.

8. patrickBOOTH

Clearly you have never been to nice places in any of those boroughs. The only thing that holds water is not understanding living on Staten Island.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

much of brooklyn is quite lovely

10. patrickBOOTH

11. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I only speak from experience. Surely there people in NYC who are fulfilled with themselves on a level that actually matters, I just tend to think that margin is small, and that you have a better chance as a young person to find yourself in a more hospitable environment.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the area around Columbia is nice as well.

i like Greenpoint as well, though the transportation situation there blows. Might be a good spot for GF, actually.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

we don't all want to live with our mothers

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm going to reiterate: this entire argument is stupid and pointless because none of the crucial details are ironed out:

- my salary
    - my rent
    - my apt location
    - my office location
    - insurance (actually, already checked this with my friends address and it's the same as what I pay now)
    - how often I will actually drive

And more that I'm missing. The car will be a judgment call. I told gome this already in the cars we drive thread, but the plan is to keep it at my friends house for a couple months. If I end up not using it at all and find little value, I will sell it.

We need to avoid making broad statements like "you don't want to live in NYC" when we don't have the facts to back them up.

Why don't we all drop this and you New Yorkers can resume bitching about the MTA.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well this thread exploded.

The wife and I were making a combined $84k when we moved here, and we were definitely pinching pennies. We basically never left our apartment. An individual making that could easily do it with a roommate. I've said it many times though--all those people making $35k a year out of school? I'm pretty sure most of them are getting money from their parents to get by.

Regarding Brooklyn: I live there, so obviously like it. Though brownstone Brooklyn is no longer any cheaper than Manhattan--you just get a little more for your money.

I would also live in Queens--if we decided we were going to stay in New York long term (like have kids long term) we would almost certainly move to Queens.