Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Where did I ever mention excuses for why I don't want to live there?

I only mentioned things I would want to avoid: living with the stress of making ends meet, living in a shit hole apartment with 3 bros, and parking my car on the street.

Those aren't hard excuses for not wanting to live in NYC unless you're of the mindset that all those are absolutely essential to the NYC experience.

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

If you are interested in any of the above, or any actual quality of life outside of working to live, don't move to NYC. Maybe try to find something in Stamford, depending on your field. It is less money, there is nightlife, close proximity to clean beaches, much less traffic, and the women are well kept, for the most part. You can also keep your car easily and drive to hiking trails on weekends, or join a nearby racket club and play squash with pretty girls. Many of my friends from school live in NYC, and while most are successful in the generic sense, they are mostly soulless and unfulfilled in the human sense. That's partly why I stopped living there after a few months. Also, it smells like shit.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

^^Unnecessary? But then you worry about spending a 20 spot?

4. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

How about this: if you (a) don't want to give up your car, (b) won't part it on the street, and (c) don't have the budget to park it in a garage, then by deduction you don't really want to live here. If you did want to live here then that desire would outweigh one of either (a) or (b), such that the constraint of (c) became irrelevant. Your insistence on holding onto your car reveals that you desire a lifestyle that is not well matched to New York City. Thus you don't really want to live here. QED. As an aside, I am always amused by people who say "Oh, I'd love to live in New York but I could never give up my car." If you can't imagine giving up your car then what on earth do you expect to get out of living here??? You can't drive anywhere anyway. Having a car here only makes sense, and barely at that, when you have someplace to get to outside the city. And a getaway is something that only a fairly seasoned New Yorker would bother with - you don't move to NYC just to immediately start spending your weekends in the Hudson Valley.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Are you sure your "friends" are not generally unhappy when they see you because you think of them as soulless individuals?

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You all have to keep in mind that this all ties to my goal of moving to NYC only with a six figure job.

I'm not sure why everyone is so confused.

It's pretty clear in how I laid out my argument.

Edit: I left out a crucial detail. My car would be parked at my friend's house in NJ.

The devil is also in the details. Whatever my salary may be changes everything. We need to stop being so simplistic in assigning ultimatums without the relevant details.

This entire argument is stupid and pointless.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Low six-figures or high six figures? at $100,000 after taxes, gas, insurance, parking garage... Yeah, you're going to worry about spending $20

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I also have significant savings, so that's another factor beyond just living off a salary.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I know people with 6 figure jobs who have room-mates because they have/need to. I also know people who make $60K who are just fine in NYC in their own apartment.

10. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

That makes the least sense of all. A car is a luxury here, the only point of which is to be able to go wherever you want on a whim. If you have to take a daytrip just to get to your car then you're doing it wrong.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Not to mention paying insurance on it when spending $20 may become an issue....

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

So basically you want a really expensive vacation that you have to torture yourself to be on for a while?

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

say bye-bye to $8K of that when you sign a lease on a place

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If I had to walk more than 5-7 minutes to get my car...let alone take a trip to another state......I would consider myself a fool... Disclaimer: Unless I owned a home in said state and use said car for weekend purposes and parked it at MY home in said state.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Again, details. I would have a roommate or two in a decent apartment. I apologize for being unclear if you thought I implied I wanted a luxury 1 BR. That's not what I meant.
    Different values. I've made the trip to my friends house and he lives right by the train station. This would be a weekend car. I would not be using my car to get to places within the city.
    Why do you keep clawing onto this idea that spending $20 will be a an issue for me as a fact? Go back to my earlier posts where I mention that I want to move to Nyc with a nice salary so I DONT have to worry about spending $20. Drop this argument. It's baseless.
    What? Details, bro. As an aspirational board member, you should know this. All of you need to stop with the vast generalizations. Come on, jfc.