• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has frozen spit season started in NYC yet?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

You're not even a new yawker, let alone an amurrcan.

Git outta this thread!!

I was in this thread long before you were. GTF off my lawn.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

EMP seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of place. I know my wife and I were in the latter camp, unfortunately.

What's to hate?

My best eating experience in NYC.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's to hate?

My best eating experience in NYC.

Hate is not the right word. It was unquestionably a very, very good meal. But it was also by far our least favorite of the three-Michelin star restaurants we've been to.

Ours was a very... Fussy? experience. Granted, this was a year ago, shortly after they introduced the whole "New York" themed experience. I understand they have toned that down a lot, so perhaps it's better now. But I don't want someone interrupting me every five minutes with a long diatribe about the food and what it represents or anything. We also had some spotty wine service, and really only a couple of the dishes were home runs IMO.

Bright spots were: one of the most beautiful dining rooms I've been in, a couple of really excellent cocktails to start, the bottle of eau-de-vie at the end of the meal, and one of the best kitchen tours I've had (more alcohol, mmm). Most of the food though, I am struggling to even recall, which is not a good sign.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The theatre?  The preciousness?  The never-ending gimmickery?

But the food is yummy. And every nice restaurant exploits theatricality and preciousness to some degree.

I agree there is a touch of gimmickery, but the food is good enough to eclipse it by a wide margin.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The theatre?  The preciousness?  The never-ending gimmickery?

Those were basically our thoughts. Unlike Foo, we didn't feel the food offset that. Perhaps we just got them on an off night, though at that level, you don't get to have off nights IMO.

Clearly plenty of people love the place, I'm not making any sort of assertion that it is objectively not a good restaurant. It was just not a place my wife and I would go back to. Plenty of other places I'd rather spend that money.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bright spots were: one of the most beautiful dining rooms I've been in, a couple of really excellent cocktails to start, the bottle of eau-de-vie at the end of the meal, and one of the best kitchen tours I've had (more alcohol, mmm). Most of the food though, I am struggling to even recall, which is not a good sign.

I actually didn't care for the dining room. Felt like the lobby of a Hilton.

We didn't ask for a kitchen tour.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Plenty of other places I'd rather spend that money.

I agree that a truly off night is not really an option for places at that price and caliber, though some variance is acceptable and to be expected.

Where do you prefer in New York?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually didn't care for the dining room. Felt like the lobby of a Hilton.

We didn't ask for a kitchen tour.

:lol: I said the same thing about Per Se, actually.

We didn't ask for the tour, they offered it up, which I actually appreciated. Despite the fact that I know they are never going to say no, for some reason I always feel bad asking to see the kitchen. Makes me feel like I am invading someone's workspace. Having them say "take your time, when you are done, we'd love to show you the kitchen if you are interested" was nice.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I did the tasting at the Modern last week and found that totally great. No kitchen tour.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that a truly off night is not really an option for places at that price and caliber, though some variance is acceptable and to be expected.

Where do you prefer in New York?

At that level, I'd go back to Le Bernardin or Jean Georges as first picks. The wife would say Per Se, though the wine list there just makes me angry, so I can't say I'd go back unless someone else was paying. I also enjoyed Daniel quite a lot, though the wife less so.

Have not been to Del Posto, is next on our list. Blue Hill at Stone Barn is high up the list to try as well, though I think it is perhaps not in the same league, nor is it in the city obviously.

Edit: So, I just named all the NYT four stars. Guess that tells you where I would rank EMP among them :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads