Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

2. Big A

Big A Senior member

People still keep their retirement money in the United States? Why?

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Obvious irony, is obvious.

4. zhualais

zhualais New Member

yes.Blue laws do apply to restaurants, they can't serve booze until noon.thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. romafan

romafan Senior member

i was wondering what prompted all the college/meaningfuljob-stuff, then read a nyt letter today - assume it's reaction to the james stewart piece? :confused:

* oh, and what :crazy: variation of murphy's says that once the sidewalk shed finally comes down it's time to rip up and replace the whole blocklong stretch of sidewalk! :fu:

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I was stopped on my walk to work this morning by a reasonably attractive woman who asked to take my picture for a "fashion blog". I forgot to ask the name of it :confused:

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

She will use the photo to steal your identity.

8. patrickBOOTH

I'm sure it'll appear in "non-sartorialist looks" thread

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Too many good-looking people on SF, it seems.

BTW, pB, what dress code is your office? I know you dress very formally and I was wondering if your colleagues do as well.

10. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

I had a cronut at the Feast of San Gennaro. It was actually pretty good. I think most people are obsessed with the texture. For all intents and purposes, it is a sfogliatelle, albeit sweeter.

I don't even remember where I started. I think I began with people in the analytic tradition. I basically just picked up books on subjects that mildly interested me and did a little wikipedia researching until I had a general idea of how things happened in the past. Beyond finding out who influenced whom, I personally don't see much of any point in studying the history of philosophy, since, as a pragmatist, I believe in understanding concepts and not petty memorization.

Nothing I said just now was helpful in any way, shape, or form, I'm certain.

Reasons why NYC sucks: Jamaica Center, both above and below ground. Passing through to and from my college is easily the worst part of my day.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

Nothing quite like humor to make things stick in your head for the rest of your life. :p

I am also quite fond of "The Philosopher's Handbook".

13. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Didn't you get the memo? This is the new SF pass phrase. We had to replace "Brown is for farmers" b/c of Snowden.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I had a late late meal at the Clinton Diner the other day.

[​IMG]

I used to drive by it often - to eat in woodside queens and to visit friends in queens.

its a famous landmark because its used so often for movies (the goodfella's scene where Jimmy and Henry find out Tommy's been whacked). silvercup studio's is pretty close and they use that area a ton for movie/tv shoots.

the later you go the more interesting the people inside. its in a really desolate part of queens, mostly warehouses and garages (probably chop shops because i've seen lots of exotic super cars in the area), but there are a couple police buildings (NYC central police car repair) and 3 gentlemen's clubs, and even a warehouse they use for concerts now.

its easy to get to from green point, williamsburg and bushwick if you drive.

i've just eaten burgers and had shakes there which were good. the place is super grimy and if you're there at 2am its going to be full of truckers, off duty cops, and hookers.

15. patrickBOOTH

The dress code depends largely on your department and to a lesser extent who you work for and your seniority (both years and position). Short answer is in my area is some dress formally, some business casual. Most of the young people who dress formally don't dress very CBD, pretty trendy compared to the older guys, but I guess that is fairly typical.