Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is it like a cash balance thing, or an actual sweet pension, like 60% of your salary until you and your spouse croaks?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

So, here's a new MTA wrinkle that you can also file under "anarcho-tyranny."

As everyone knows, ticketing in Metro North is an honor system. You get on and are supposed to have a ticket. If you don't, you pay the onboard fare, which is about 2x higher. In 8 years riding MN, I can count on one hand the number of people who have simply not had either a ticket nor any cash. In some cases, the conductor himself wrote the person a citation, in others they were met at the track by an MTA cop--and not, I presume, arrested, but given a citation.

Well, lately I've seen this happen twice in a span of about 10 days. Both times the person was obviously an illegal alien. (Racist!!!!) Both times the conducter gave the person a lecture and then just ... walked off. No consequences and a free ride.

Yes! Now, in addition to breaking US law, getting free tuition at public unversites, welfare, food stamps, etc., illegals can now ride US public transportation for free. The law will simply not be enforced against them.

Against idiot sucker UMC white boys five generations into the good ol' USofA, well, you better pay, chump. or you WILL be arrested, or at least cited in a very embarassing way, which will require you to go to court, have a record, give you something to explain to lenders, credit bureaus and prospective employers.

It's too late for me. But any of you who are single and reading this, take heed. Don't get married. Don't have children. Don't build assets the government can easily track. Earn what you need to live and enjoy yourself and no more. Become a carpenter or something and insist on being paid in cash. Live as much off the grid, and out of the field of vision of the Davos Class and the Rapacious State, as you can.

People like me are Suckers with a capital "S."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  3. romafan

romafan Senior member

what about st john's (annapolis, not queens)? :confused:

4. Manton

St. John's is too loosy goosey. Funny, I had lunch with a prof recently (not a St. John's prof, they are not called profs anyway) and he said he had a recently graduated "Johnny" in one of his seminars who told him that there is now a taboo against even speaking aloud the name of Leo Strauss at St. John's. Despite the fact that he totally looms over the place, but apparently, in silence.

When I was there, it was not like that. They had all his books in the bookstore, for instance, and all the lecture tapes in the library. We talked about him a lot. Laurence Berns, one of the first generation Straussians, was still on the faculty.

5. patrickBOOTH

I guess somewhat in line with the thread diversion, but I've always wanted to learn more about philosophy, but never really understood where to start. The timeline, and relationships between people and theories that I hear about often aren't clear.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I actually just had to look it up, that's how little attention I paid to the thing. It's a cash balance plan, which I suppose is much less insane than an a traditional pension.

The firm pays the full cost of the plan and obviously the amount placed into the fund increases as your salary goes up--although apparently there is an IRS limit on how much income can be considered, which while more than I am making now, is not very high--I'd expect to exceed it within 5 years.

Regardless, I still just assume that the thing will not exist when I retire (or, more likely, I won't work here anymore and so the amount will be negligible) and fully fund my retirement through other means.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Manton lecture series?

8. patrickBOOTH

I have one of those as well. It is a very small amount of money. It will probably be like $12 when I retire. The only good thing about it is you take it with you if you leave the company.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

so if you leave, that can pay for your lunch!

(if you ate lunch)

10. patrickBOOTH

The lunches I see most people eat are about $50. I'd be broke.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

WTF is wrong with people?

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

philosophy confuses me, but i do have a vague recollection of him somehow being tangentially connected to my alma mater, and just confirmed :wow:

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'll eat out with colleagues and spend like $100 then after see a orderly chowing down on this beans and rice lunch that his wife packed for him and be instantly/insanely jealous.

14. Manton

roma, you went to St. J's Annapolis? Which is like 90% philosophy, and you say it confuses you?

Anyway, Strauss' best friend Jacob Klein ran the school for something like 40 years. Strauss himself lived and taught there from 1969-1973. He is burried in Annapolis.

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Re: pensions, I would advise anyone expecting a pension in 20 or 30 years to save and invest like you'll never see it. Just too much uncertainty there, even for government employees (but most likely the taxpayers will be raped before those are allowed to go kaput).