Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Waited no where near as long as aravenel, but yes my train(s) were delayed too. The first train that pulled in the station just bypassed us. That used to happen all the time though when I took the L train.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This was the F train. Part of the problem I think is that they have recently only been using really old trains, related to the R train issues I'm guessing. Those old trains fit less people in them due to the insane seating design, so when there's a backup, things escalate to clusterfuck levels quite quickly.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

What do you know about reptilians? Bloomberg kind of looks like he could be half lizard.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Seeing this thread bumped made me thing again about how shitty the commute was this morning and made me want to bitch some more about it, so here are two other infuriating tidbits:

1. When I got off the train after my 30-minute-turned-hour-and-15-minute commute, I went to check the MTA website and see what the fuck was going on. "In good service" is what it said. News flash: If there are 45 minute delays on a line during morning rush hour, that is not in good service, asshats.
    2. There was a pregnant woman waiting near me almost as long as I was. She was not doing well--the heat was getting to her, she had to sit down on the platform for a while, etc. Well, we get on this train, and there are a bunch of grown-ass men sitting in the seats. No one moves to let this clearly struggling pregnant woman sit down. *Another woman* a little further down the car noticed that she was clearly in a bit of distress and got up to let her sit down. Unreal, people.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i have found that the "good service" indicators only change for planned work and they're useless for actually determining if the trains are running as they normally should.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Once in a blue moon I will get an alert that is actually timely enough to do something about my commute. This is maybe a once, twice a year occurrence though, despite there being problems several times a month.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I've been known to suggest to seated passengers that they should get off of their fat asses and offer their seats to pregnant or otherwise reduced mobility riders.

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I usually try to avoid getting involved beyond offering my seat in the rare occasions in which I am sitting, but after this morning, I'm damned sure about to start. I couldn't believe it. This woman seriously looked like she was about to faint, and it's not like she was borderline is-she-pregnant-or-isn't-she.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A friend of mine uses my tweets as alerts as I get to work way before him and I bitch tweet about the subway before the MTA sends out any alerts. I should be compensated.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

your tweets are way more useful than mine.

11. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

But you live in San Francisco, which is mostly populated by wimpy hipsters, not New York where even the little old ladies are dangerous.

12. patrickBOOTH

I don't know about that. I talk about my bowel problems 99% more than you do. I think we complain about the same amount en generale.

13. patrickBOOTH

So would you say that New York Hipsters are tougher than San Fran hipsters? It is a weird thing because a lot of hipsters I know are from San Fran and supposedly they say there are a lot of New Yorkers over there. Seems like an exchange program or something.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^NYC hipsters (the ones that move here earnestly) are actually mostly from the MIdwest. The joke is that they're all from Minnesota. From there they spend their 20's in bushwick/williamsburg/greenpoint until they migrate elsewhere to raise a family. Its the hipster version of Rumspringa (the amish are the OG hipsters).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

15. patrickBOOTH

Park Slope: Where hipsters go to die