1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Well can I get a waiver since I'm not a resident of NY?

1 person likes this.
  2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

when will the sweating season end?

1 person likes this.
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

that ain't a NY problem. that's on you...or whoever buys em!

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Stop wearing long johns before winter.
    Do you bother with anti-perspirant?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

theres a little cafe in brooklyn, not too far from me, that smuggles them in from virginia. 7 a pack, how i love it.

one thing that doesn't suck about new york, things like that.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

They're cracking down on that at the request of NYC. There was an article about it in the Richmond Times Dispatch just the other day changing the law on how many cigarettes you can buy at a time.

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

One of my dad's guys comes into NYC for the week from the Virginia Beach area and brings cartons with him. He sells them to co-workers and such to make a little profit that covers his commute cost and weekly poker game money.

I have to walk by those horse carriages to get into Central Park for my softball games. I grew up around horses, but those beasts are in pretty poor condition and the area smells far worse than any stable I've ever been in. It's depressing.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1. Would abolish.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I would slang like van loads of cigs in NYC. I usually bring like 4 or 6 cartons back from Korea with me whenever I visit Seoul. $20/carton with tax, like $15 without. I have been in Japan for a year but smoked Korean cigs most of the time.

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

+1 about abolishing handsome cabs.

but would bring back human rickshaws in Chinatown.... and maybe replace Central Park handsome cabs with them too.

[​IMG]

12. Manton

aren't those guys with the bike cabs bad enough?

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

well they don't smell any better.

but I don't mind seeing them suffer for money.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Condolences for the rest of the week... its going to be exquisitely humid swamp ass inducing weather.

reasons why NYC sucks? when schools back, street traffic/subway train bus congestion/sidewalk congestion gets so much worse. You end up forgetting about how the students add that much more congestion/stress throughout the summer then when september hits.... you're stuck on a bus with 40 high schoolers running amok, and the bus is stuck behind a school bus that won't let anyone pass (even on the other side of traffic), while you wait for the parents of the 10 year olds to fetch their children (or else the bus won't leave).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  15. Manton

being on the subway when the little hellions get out of school is not fun.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i will +1 this with vigor.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

another reason why NYC sucks.... when people cross the street in blatant jaywalking violations (during don't walk signs, or in the middle of a busy street) then the idiots have the gall to be angry when they are almost pancaked.

There's two specific places where this happens often when I drive:

1. when you have to make a left turn onto Center Street from Canal St. (when going to the Williamsburg Bridge). The don't walk sign is on during a dedicated left hand light to let the people turning left go through quickly but people just rush on through anyway (in the middle of chinatown).

2. whenever you're driving across 6th 7th or broadway in the times square area and have to drive fast to avoid being stuck in the block there's always people fucking crossing the street blatantly jaywalking

the mother fuckers will get angry when you're speeding up to get across the street thinking you're trying to be an asshole by almost hitting them.

its one of the few times I'll lay onto the horn, to warn the tourists/idiots/ect. but sadly it has an almost opposite effect where they'll look up and become angry/indignant and have the "what are you going to do hit me?" face going.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

The legacy of Ratso Rizzo:

Better than SF where I get dirty looks from pedestrians and the occasional "you're not allowed to do that, Sir" when I walk across on a red. The best was the person who whipped out a phone and took my picture.

lefty

19. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

WTF? I thought everyone in NYC just bought smokes in bags from the reservation.

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love my city, but lefty is dead on about the sanctimonious San Francisco pedestrian. It almost makes me want to hit them to instill some healthy respect for 4000 lbs. of steel moving at 30 mph.