Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^that street is fucking beautiful. (despite the hoards of sex and the city fans shitting up the area).

the weird part is the famous huxtable townhouse is nearby too (yup the iconic cosby show brooklyn brownstone is actually in manhattan :fu: )

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

A few blocks from employees only as well.

3. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Ditto. I know who I am not voting for - de blassio. He wants to steal from the rich and give to the poor.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

:rolleyes:

5. JFKCDG

JFKCDG Member

From 2010-2012. I lived on Perry between Washington and West St.

And yes, very slow. I loved staring at the boats sailing on the Hudson from my window every day. And jogging along the Hudson River trail, then go to my favorite outdoor cafes. And walk a few blocks to the Meatpacking District for some shopping and nightlife. Loved it. Going into Midtown was always an incredible rush because the pace was completely different from my neighborhood.

The only thing un-NY about my stay is probably the fact that I only used the subway a grand total of 10 times during the two years.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm at a coffee shop right now and I just overheard two guys:

"...I put it in your perfume drawer."

"I have a perfume drawer?"

"Yeah, where I used to keep my Justin Bieber toothbrush. I put the tape measure in there too."

"Oh, ok."

:confused:

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Bill Thompson doesn't seem that terrible to me. Did I miss something? I get the sense that's he's kind of a mainstream Dem without the foolish populism.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  8. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

The teacher's union endorsed him. It has to be bad for NYC (unless you're a teacher).

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Unless Lhota wins, which I don't expect, we (you) are guaranteed an idiot for the next mayor. All that matters to me as a suburban commuter are two things: 1) will they reinstate the commuter tax? 2) will liberal nostalgia for the "authenticity" of Taxi Driver NYC lead the next mayor to launch such a war on the NYPD that even Midtown East becomes unsafe? #1 I could deal with, though I would not relish. #2 could be a real problem. I do expet mayhem in the subways to increase. Bloomberg stopped enforcing the anti-panhandling laws a while ago and with a new sherrif in town, the thugs will shortly resort to form.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the beaches and towns of southern NJ are really nice. Would return.

11. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Obviously you went on the day they decided to wall off Philadelphia.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

did see lots of Philly people. But the beaches were well maintained and not overcrowded.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

#2 appears to be a certainty as the mayoral candidates have all promised to restore crime. And in other news, City unions are salivating at the departure of Bloomberg so they can finally get someone to give them six years of retroactive pay increases and fat new contracts. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324324404579045312982910146.html "The unions want any new deal to include raises for the years since their contracts ran out. The city calculates that retroactive raises plus future raises at the rate of inflation would cost $3 billion a year—more than the annual $2.4 billion budget of the city's sanitation department." "A mayor who signs costly contracts would face the politically fraught prospect of raising taxes, budget experts say. Pushing for big concessions risks a continued stalemate, which isn't a palatable alternative for the Democratic candidates—one of whom is likely to be the next mayor in the overwhelmingly Democratic city—who depend on union support."

14. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I actually do like the beaches between Atlantic City and Wildwood.
    And Cape May is particularly beautiful and peaceful in the off-season.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i was in Cape May. I suppose it wasn't quite peaceful since the town appeared to be at capacity, but it wasn't crazy either. I enjoyed myself and would totally return on a hot September weekend.