1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You will see foot beat cops in the Tenderloin and not really anywhere else. I see cruisers all the time. Also, they seem to use mounted patrols more than most cities. And many cops are on segways (?) and four wheel off road thingies.

Though, per capita, it is not a very large force (one officer for every 400 people compared to one for every 200 in NYC)

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:rotflmao:

3. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

This one time two homeless gentlemen followed my girlfriend and I into Subway @ Union Square around 6 pm.

The gentleman and his mentally unstable friend praised Jesus and ever so politely asked us to buy them a foot long sandwich. I agreed out of fear of getting mugged and stabbed in the face.

After the exchange took place, they were even kind enough to offer to shake hands. I politely declined and wished them farewell as we hauled our asses out of there.

San Francisco - never again.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

The funniest no-so-homless guy I encountered was this 20-something black guy getting on the train asking people to buy him a salmon dinner. He was going on about how much he loves salmon, and he could afford one with a few more dollars, but he really would appreciate somebody to buy the whole dinner for him. After nobody obliged, obviously, he took out this huge wad of $100 notes and started counting them and said, "fuck it, I'm going drinking!" and got off the train. I was laughing, but some other black passengers were really pissed off. They were going on about how he makes their race look bad and such. It was awkward and I stopped laughing.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

5. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

But it's such a walking city.

It's nearly impossible to respect a cop on a segway.

lefty

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

For some reason I respect normal pedestrians on them much less. I kind of expect such nonsense from police officers.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Well, I guess the Vancouver ones are better then, instead of alcohol they went to buy some Starbucks coffee...

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

They don't need cops over in your part of town. Over here in the Mission, Noe, Bernal, etc., we have cops on foot, on bikes, and in cars. And most of them aren't even assholes. Never seen a cop on a Segway.

Speaking of Segways, I'm always amused when I come across a Segway tour around Fisherman's Wharf while running and pass them. I'm pretty sure I overheard one of the tourists acknowledge how silly it was that they were getting passed by someone on foot.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

Tell them white people don't think white fuck ups make their " race look bad" and they shouldn't either.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

You prefer more conventional cities where someone will actually stab you in the face rather than cross you up by exhibiting gratitude and courtesy?

11. conradwu

I prefer cities where homeless people don't follow me (especially when I'm with the missus), corner me into a situation, and display a false sense of gratitude (forgive me for being cynical). Those two words are out the window when someone invites themselves into my personal space. You could argue they were being genuine but I'd prefer to trust my own instincts in that kind of situation rather than trying to figure out the sincerity of the mentally unstable.

I've never had a problem with them in all the years I've lived in New York. In my relatively short 3-day stay in SF I managed to get into two situations that made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Maybe I face a higher risk of getting stabbed in the face in New York but I'll take my shitty weather, tiny apartment, and flocks of oblivious tourists over living in Northern California.

12. sugarbutch

If others wouldn't judge black folks by the outliers, they wouldn't be embarrassed.

13. sugarbutch

Lived here for 14 years, and I've never had a confrontation with a homeless person. Maybe you look like an easy mark? :D

14. conradwu

I suppose being a skinny Asian guy has it's pros and cons... [​IMG]

15. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

No dude, I got jiggy with it and ventured into the mission, noe, ... okay, not bernal, but other danger zones. Never saw a cop.

You wear an earring. It's like flashing the Van B Boys sign.

lefty