1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I really should leave, I would like to, but I think that would require ditching my family, which at this point I am not prepared to do.

2. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

I was lucky. After some homeless guy in SanFo spit on my wife it was a done deal.

lefty

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

They have schools and grocery stores elsewhere. You can do it!

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

As much as I complain about New York, there are far too many things I love about it to leave. Sometimes I think I need things to complain about to be happy. :confused:

5. Manton

So, in my little burb the commercial part of the villiage is a bit isolated on one side because of train tracks and a river. There are only 2.5 ways in and the street pattern is so weird that all routes are rather circuitous.

Well, there is a little bridge. It looks fine. But some NY busybody has proclaimed it unsafe. CLOSED! (Open to bikes and pedestrians though.)

No work being done, no plan, no schedule, nothing. Just closed until further notice. Makes getting into the villiage now even more of a PitA.

I think it will never be fixed.

Also, the 50 orange R2D2s they put up at both ends to block it sure are attractive.

6. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior Member

7. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

Should it trouble me that you are frequenting single dudes' pads enough to know this?

This is what we did until that 2br became available. For 75 bucks more. With a skylight and roof deck :)

Also, I have always maintained that "I would never rob my children of the public school experience". They need to rub shoulders with the "3rd world" to be whole IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

If someone spits on you can you beat the shit out of them and call it self defense? I know spitting is considered assault so I wonder if you could get away with that.

9. lefty

Not in SanFo where the homeless are coveted and coddled. Not sure if you can still Bernie Goetz their asses in NYC.

lefty

10. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

I thought I was tough enough to deal with the homeless and crazies when I visited San Francisco after living in New York for so long.

I was mistaken. I learned my lesson and will never again venture out past 11 pm to the convenience store.

11. lefty

db

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

12. Manton

Police in NY are far more agressive than in SF. Though that may change with the next mayor.

Also, NYC sort of got over its fetishization of bums and the mentally ill as misunderstood angels. SF never has and probably never will.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Was in NYC with my g/f and she kept questioning me why I ever left. I told her it is much cleaner now

14. lefty

Somewhere there's a shot of a homeless guy leaning against a SF cop car taking a shit. I believe the cops were in a nearby convenience store grabbing him some Charmin.

The entire time I was in SanFo I never saw a street patrol - foot or car. I'm pretty sure I never saw a cop at all.

lefty

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

I have a picture on my phone of a bum in Philly taking a dump between two cars. I'd post, but I think I'd get banned from wienerforvm.net.

I saw a ton of old cruisers in SF. I couldn't get over how shitty they were.