• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theyll probably just give it all out as bonuses to MTA employees.

If the MTA had a mission statement, I am sure it would read "To provide maximal lifetime income and benefits to MTA employees" rather than "To provide effective public transit for the New York City metropolitan area."

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

When doesn't traffic suck somewhere in NYC?

the only time i've hit genuinely awful stuff was 2 or 3 days after hurricane Sandy, and that was only in Manhattan. I expected chaos at the only open tunnel, but it was surprisingly free.

Even in rush hour on a Friday, I've also been able to hit the GWB with relative ease. The key, as i'm discovering, is finding out where accidents are and these will just mess everything up.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These guys terrorize my neighbourhood. 50 or 60 dirt bikes racing down the streets and sidewalks. Last night while eating at a sidewalk cafe they raced by with cops fast on their trail. Unfortunately, there's no way a car is going to keep up and the cops tried to cordon off a street on foot, but the bikers just went around them.

I'm not much of a gun advocate, but the driver of the black SUV would have been justified to shoot that guy breaking his window. I may have driven over the bridge and slammed up against one of the toll booths to get the cops attention.

lefty

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've driven motorcyles/trail bikes since I was about 11 but I find it hard to fault the Rover driver in the initial encounter and even harder to fault him for taking off. I do think he was stupid for not locking his door (WTF? They lock automatically) and I think he was not using his Rover to full ability. Like when they had him blocked off and forcing him to the off ramp? There was no one on the grassy section. Just run over the curb and nail it. I might well have mowed down rows of them as that was a pure mob mentality going on and it seemed to me the biker in the initial encounter was at least complicit if not the outright cause of the initial collision.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just pleased the police were *trying* to stop them. Asshats like this cruise around my neighborhood all the time, and I've never seen any indication that the police care at all.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've driven motorcyles/trail bikes since I was about 11 but I find it hard to fault the Rover driver in the initial encounter and even harder to fault him for taking off. I do think he was stupid for not locking his door (WTF? They lock automatically) and I think he was not using his Rover to full ability. Like when they had him blocked off and forcing him to the off ramp? There was no one on the grassy section. Just run over the curb and nail it. I might well have mowed down rows of them as that was a pure mob mentality going on and it seemed to me the biker in the initial encounter was at least complicit if not the outright cause of the initial collision.

I'm honestly curious what would happen, legally, had he done something like this. Could he claim self defense?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'm honestly curious what would happen, legally, had he done something like this. Could he claim self defense?

From how worked up some of the bikers were I'd be operating under the, "Better tried by 12 than carried by six" theory.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i wouldn't mind snow in September if it meant no motorcycles on the roads.

i have some awesome boots that can handle to snow.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just pleased the police were *trying* to stop them. Asshats like this cruise around my neighborhood all the time, and I've never seen any indication that the police care at all.

If that SUV incident was yesterday, maybe the cops were out in force. This was at about 6:30 at 126 and Lenox. At least 6 cops running after them on foot.

I think the only way to catch them is spiderman slinging a little web.

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These guys terrorize my neighbourhood. 50 or 60 dirt bikes racing down the streets and sidewalks. Last night while eating at a sidewalk cafe they raced by with cops fast on their trail. Unfortunately, there's no way a car is going to keep up and the cops tried to cordon off a street on foot, but the bikers just went around them.

I'm not much of a gun advocate, but the driver of the black SUV would have been justified to shoot that guy breaking his window. I may have driven over the bridge and slammed up against one of the toll booths to get the cops attention.

lefty 

that video had a nice mad max vibe going - I was hoping the RR guy had some better tricks up his sleeve :mad:

where do you live aravenel? our kidz play hawkey out in the outskirts of long island city and we see these gangs all the time buzzing around the deserted streets - it;'s kind of eerie when you're driving along and things are completely silent & empty, then you hear this buzz that quickly turns into a roar and them a bunch of headlights appear out of nowhere as this pack howls past you...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that video had a nice mad max vibe going - I was hoping the RR guy had some better tricks up his sleeve :mad:

where do you live aravenel? our kidz play hawkey out in the outskirts of long island city and we see these gangs all the time buzzing around the deserted streets - it;'s kind of eerie when you're driving along and things are completely silent & empty, then you hear this buzz that quickly turns into a roar and them a bunch of headlights appear out of nowhere as this pack howls past you...

I'm in Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill. Which makes it even stranger. Seems about as far as you could get from a biker-friendly neighborhood, but there they are nonetheless.

To be fair, I don't often see huge packs like in that video--it's usually 3-4 guys on bikes with straight-piped exhaust cruising up and down Smith and Carroll streets and bombing down the side streets. Actually saw a couple big packs like that yesterday, but there was a big street fair on Atlantic Ave (another grumble for another day) that I presume brought them in.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Among the many reasons I had in mind why NY sucks when I started this thread, I never dreamed that motorcycle terrorists would turn out to be one of them.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yesterday must have been the official "get on your bike, find a group, exhibit group think" day, because I heard several of these animal hurds rolling up one of the avenues. i thought it was really strange, and I figured there must have been a bunch of organized (that's the wrong word, i know, they're anything but organized) runs.

ugh.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Among the many reasons I had in mind why NY sucks when I started this thread, I never dreamed that motorcycle terrorists would turn out to be one of them.

NY Mag shares your sentiment:

There's a lot of stuff to worry about as you go about your daily life in the city — subway pushers, falling air conditioners, huge piles of horse poop, clipboard people — but at least you'll never be terrorized by a gaggle of motorcycling enthusiasts. Oh, wait — yeah, you might be.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/09/biker-gang-motorcycle-video-suv-new-york.html

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That video should be a prime example of your argument re: anarcho-fascism. The guy driving the car will probably be prosecuted for hit and run, reckless driving, etc, and the mob of motorcyclists that broke his window, dragged him out onto the street and beat him senseless will probably get away scot-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads