Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

And another thing ...

Metro North has totally collapsed. I have not ridden an on-time train in two years. The printed schedule is meaningless. Today we were 13 minutes late. That's about 2/5 the scheduled length of the trip. I.e., the equivalent of a 5 hour flight being 2 hours late. This happens now EVERY DAY.

They used to change the schedules about every six months. Now they change them every two months or more but to no avail. No matter how much they pad the schedule, they are still always late. And it keeps getting worse.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

The NY airports are a fucking disaster. I would vote for the mayor who could just say, "fuck everything else, I'm going to raze the fucking subway and airports and start again. It won't be finished in my lifetime and I'll face massive opposition, but I'll be the guy who throws himself on a political sword to get this fucker started."

Fuck the highline, fuck the citibikes, fuck the parkettes; fix the fucking transportation in this city.

lefty

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Epic rant approaching Travis Bickle territory.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the roads in Queens really are awful. Some girl just died because her motorcycle hit a massive pot hole.

fortunately, I never have to drive on these roads.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

More Sid Dithers actually.

lefty

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^i remember thinking twice about visiting friends in New Jersey on the weekends when I lived in brooklyn. Not [only] because I didn't really want to go to new jersey but because I would play about $20+ in tolls to get there. I could theoretically pay even more $30 plus (to go through midtown tunnel 2x, RFK bridge 2x, GWB 1x and or lincoln tunnel depending on the traffic going home).

how far away did my NJ friends live from me ? less than 15 miles away...

I've bent rims on potholes on queens blvd. fortunately there are places that can re-true your rims for you on the end of the BQE.

the BQE has some horrendous conditions though... i hate driving on it because your tires make the same noise as having a flat and I start to get paranoid about actually getting a flat on the BQE.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

7. Manton

I recently drove from W'Chester to DC and back. I did not keep track of all the tolls in my head (EZ Pass is designed to make you not think about it) but I bet it was at least $200 for the round trip.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my monthly EZ pass statement can be horrific (i travel the whitestone bridge 5-7times a week and the connection from the 91 to 95 from CT) but its even scarier when I go on vacation to places like Maine.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

nothing beats driving the cross bronx expressway. driving back from the hamptons, we hit traffic right around webster or jerome, I think. Basically 2 miles to the GWB. Those 2 miles took about 1 hour, and that is the norm (assuming you car is not swallowed up by a pothole).

10. Manton

the "construction" project at the approach to the GWB on the manhattan side is a cosmic joke. No doubt it costs a billion a month, no progress is ever made, except to progressively whittle down the lanes fewer and narrower. Actually crossing the bridge is fine but I typically wait 45 minutes to 1 hour just for the privelege.

Ed, you would save time going across the Tap even though it is less direct. I do that a lot.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

speaking of construction, hasn't the FDR been under construction for the better part of 20 years and has there been any improvement made in it? Going north, around the bruckner exit, its like driving in a third world country.

I need to try the Tap way. Right now it takes me longer to get home from there than it does to get home from Cape Cod, the LIE is no picnic either.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Took the GW a month or so ago coming back from New Jersey. Shocked to see the toll is @$13. Guess that's the price you have to pay to get out of Jersey.

Don't really care for the whole automated toll booth setup on the Henry Hudson. Seems to cause a lot of confusion for people. And now it is $7.50 to get on the FDR. I remember just 2 or 3 years go it was $4. I like the FDR though and never seem to hit much traffic the times I take it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

While I am sorry for Manton's distress, his return "home" is a windfall for those of us with regular conference calls.

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

One nice thing about living in the provinces: no tolls on the bridges. At least not north of Dutchess or Ulster Co. IIRC.

It's actually not that hard to believe how fucked up the NYC infrastructure is when you realize who all the players are. Is it that bad anywhere else in the country? Probably not is my guess.

15. Manton

I'm typically not one of those people who gush about how superior the foriegners are to us neanderthals, but when it comes to infrastructure, NY is an absolute embarassment compared to most European capitals and many in East Asia.