Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

fixed

3. patrickBOOTH

I think you will be totally fine.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't think there are more than half a dozen NYC restaurants that give a damn what you wear. The clientele might look better than you, though.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

this. you'll be surrounded by Park Ave. business people.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i visited the dining concourse of Grand Central for the very first time today. Not having done so sooner was a mistake on my part.

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Really? I don't remember anything looking too great last time I was there, but I was in a rush.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it's nothing outrageously must have (though there will be a Shake Shack there), but food options around Park Ave are surprisingly bad. We have mostly sit down type places are dime-a-dozen sandwich and salad places.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. patrickBOOTH

It kind of blows my mind how much people spend on lunch on a daily basis. I mean $50 lunches? Really? Crazy.

10. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Walk to 3rd/Lex then you will have decent option, at least Japanese wise, lots of them on midtown east

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

well I know there's some solid stuff, it's just a matter of finding the good stuff. the food court style of the dining concourse and the variety of what appeared to be solid options was nice though.

12. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I am slightly disappointed about the lack of official disapproval (perhaps in part because of the recent NYT article about loaner jackets in nicer restaurants). OTOH, I fully expected to be around business types but assumed my smug satisfaction in not returning to work after lunch would offset my slovenly presence.

13. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

And then people wonder why I'd rather have nitrate-dense cold cuts from my mediocre local supermarket [​IMG]

14. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I went to traif last year - liked it a lot. I think it's the type of food that heismatt would consider upscale food for the mac and cheese crowd, but I thought they did a good job. We had this bacon broth amuse bouche (wife asked for another taste pre-dessert which they happily obliged). They also made great cocktails. Bonus points for being around the corner from the post office. Have been to a lot of great restaurants in NYC but would happily go back to traif.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The inspiration for this thread last year was a truly wretched experience at JFK. Had another one last night, though not quite so bad. But bad.

First, to all you morons who--here and elsewhere--have compared SFO unfavorably to JFK, you are simply insane. There is no comparison. There are one or two decent JFK terminals--decent as is modern and clean, though they are all horribly designed around bottlenecks followed by endless walks. On my outbound trip, we arrived 2 hours early hoping to get some lunch and barely made it to the gate. Some of that was Delta's fault, some the TSA's (they truly are terrible everywhere, but also characteristically worse in NY), but much was also the perverse layout of the terminal, which requires everyone, after security, to bottleneck through a very limited number of elevators to get anywhere. That plus the ten mile walk to the gate.

SFO, OTOH, we breezed through. TSA was better, faster, less surly. The agents for the airline, ditto.

The new terminals at SFO sparkle and are intelligently designed. Even the old terminals are clean and rational with decent services.

At JFK, the old terminals are sewers. I came in to the one that British Airways uses. OMG. I'm surprised any limeys actually decide to stay in the country after being greeting like that. What a pit.

It was a late flight, but on schedule. So you'd think they'd be, you know, prepared for people. Oh, no. This is JFK. 90% of the terminal is roped off and closed. To no apparent purpose. They do have some people “working,” or playing concentration camp guard was more like it. Just barking surly orders to go this way, not that way, don’t go there, even though it’s way more direct and wide open …

So the route would have been long and circuitous enough, but we had a stroller and needed an elevator. There are apparently only two kinds: the ones that don’t work, and the ones that are staff only and require badge access. So haul everything down the steps only to find ourselves in a lobby barely 5” wide and crowded with people and no sign of the baggage claim—nor any sign pointing to where it is. Through much trekking, trial and error we found it, only to find another bottleneck with another concentration camp guard and people streaming out who would not let us in. After a little violence we got in there and got the bags.

Out to get the car. Harassed by an endless stream of illegal con artist “drivers.” Just like flies, you could not get rid of them and they would block our path and not shut up or take no for an answer. Just predatory scum. Worse, not only is that “law” not enforced, neither is the one about parking in the pickup zone. There were a dozen or so cars, three lanes deep, all either parked or idling. Not picking anyone up, these were the cars of the human refuse “drivers” trying to snare some moron whom they could either bilk for 3x what a yellow would cost into Manhattan, steal their luggage, kidnap the people for ransom, or just murder for sport. They had the fucking gall to yell at and abuse US as we tried to make our way through their filthy idling cars to load our luggage for a legit ride home.

Again, no enforcement at all. NY only knows how to harass and fine us bourgeois suckers who pay the welfare checks. Against all the scum and riff raff, NY does nothing.

And the roads. Jesus. What a travesty. Absolutely the worst roads in the alleged “first world” I have ever seen. Not a single smooth stretch anywhere. Endless orange cones, one “construction” project after another, concrete jersey barriers everywhere, no lane markings, just a fiasco. And none of these projects ever finish. I’ve been in my house now 8 years and gone to JFK and LGA hundreds of times. The same projects have been there the entire time. They not only never get done, no progress is ever made. NY apparently has just enough money to tear up the roads, fuck up the lanes, put out cones and Jersey barriers, but after that, it only has enough to pay overtime to all the union thugs who do nothing.

Say what you will about California, one of the most mismanaged jurisdictions in the alleged first world, but the roads are smooth. And they actually do construction projects with a distinct beginning, middle, and end. No doubt late and over budget, but they do get done. I drove on a large variety of roads this past trip and all of them were 100x better than anything in NY. The worst stretch is probably the 101 between the 85 and Palo Alto and that is nothing compared to here. Also, CalTrans actually finished a new bridge in SC while I was there and the new Bay Bridge will open in a week. Six years late, I get that, but in New York it would never be done at all.

Also, I note again that the craptastically shitty (and always “under construction”) Whitestone Bridge costs $7.50 each fucking way while the magnificent Golden Gate costs $5—one way. NY = criminal conspiracy to rob you at every turn.

And, finally (for now), I note that it was 1 am when we got to the curb, still 75 degrees and soakingly humid. Took about 1 second to feel that all over sticky film and 10 seconds to sweat through my (linen) shirt.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013