Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

it's hard for drunks to plan ahead.

also, why should the state be telling us what we can buy when?

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

It's not in California.

4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

also reminds me: I don't get why grocery stores are 3x busier the day before a holiday. "Oh grocery store is closed tomorrow better go today and buy a months worth of groceries!!"

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

what shouldn't you agree with this. aren't you always posting about how we need to encourage certain social norms because they're net goods for society? that fewer divorces are better and we don't want babies born out of wedlock?

6. Manton

as ever you are the king of apples to apples comparisions and logical continuity.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think that's a worldwide phenomenon. Hilarious.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I've always wanted to visit New York. I could not imagine living there, though. I need my greenery.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

come to chicago, a truly civilized city. no toll bridges

10. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Ahem.

Now, it's the link to Indiana, and there's no good reason to go there. 'Cept for cheap gasoline and cigarettes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the only thing I'd actually agree with so far is humidity. That shit sucks. So does the resulting swamp ass.

the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that the best fish, the best meat, the best produce, the best bread, the best sweets, the best cheese, and the best regional ingredients (be it Italian, Asian, or whatever) are all located in different parts of the city. First world problems, I know.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I've been reading accounts that indicate Chicago might not be that "civilized."

See what I mean? ;)

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

:crackup:

14. Manton

It never cools down here. Sure, the overnight temp will drop into the mid 70s but the humidity is always 100 million % so it doesn't matter. I walked to the train this morning at 6:30 AM, about 3/4 mile, and I was already sweating through my shirt. 100 in California is more comfortable than 70 in New York.

this one is for the nothing works file: There is a lower level at Grand Central which is about five stories below the main level. There is an escalator that, over the last two years, I estimate to have been working no more than 25% of the time. earlier this year it was out for around six months for a major overhaul. After that it worked on most days, with outages of a day or two now and then. This being New York, that's about the best we can hope for. But today, it's out again, and disassembled again, so once again out for the long term. This after a massive six month rehab. I've visited Third World countries with better maintenance records than this.

The MTA is also building (at least they claim to be) a connection from the LIRR to Grand Central. This will be a real boon to those who live on Long Island and work on the East Side. Assuming it is ever finished, which one cannot take for granted. However, the end point at GC is going to be way, way undergroud because that's the only place to put it. It will be much deeper than the five stories of the current lower level. The plan is to build massive escalators, not merely much longer than the ones the MTA currently cannot maintain, but much longer than any ever built anywhere. To which I say:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the plus side, a lot of people are going to lose a lot of weight trudging up steps. And imagine how hot, still and sodden the air will be down that low.

Gome is mostly wrong about the food, California markets are much better, but I will say that I have an easier time finding d'Artagnan goodies in New York.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What is the best time of year to visit NYC, weather wise?