Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Of the places that just opened up, Aska is very good. There are some misses, but the hits are very good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/d...eview-aska-in-williamsburg-brooklyn.html?_r=0

2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

+1, people look at me like im insane whenever i say this but gotta agree with PB

3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Try lobster sashimi, not sure where in the US though, do you care more about flavor or texture?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

By the way just spent half a day in Fortress Hill (helping a buddy move in), don't think there is anything worth eating here... markets itself is all right though

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Brushstroke.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

think of it as the fillet mignon of the sea. not as intense and outlandish and fatty and meaty as a bone-in ribeye, but more subtle when treated correctly (so not Red Lobster). A lot of work? Maybe to shell, but one can get through one quite quickly, and it's a lot easier than dealing with 12 crab legs in front of you. Expensive? I mean, you can easily find it for $10 a pound, sometimes cheaper. That makes a good sized lobster $10-15. Restaurants tend to screw you over for no reason, much the same for fillet mignon.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

+1

I've been a lobster roll junkie since I was a wee lad going on annual road trips to Maine, and Luke's is the best I've found south of New Haven.

Lobster is peasant food. All the elaborate preparations are just fancying up what are essentially big mud bugs.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yup. its best to eat lobster in those non-descript lobster dens (which have screen windows) along the north east coastline. that way you can eat them at the cheapest prices and in its most simple preparation (I prefer grilled lobster when done right).

[​IMG]

^lobster is actually pretty easy to eat, even the little thin legs. you can finish a whole one quickly.

of course you can probably buy a good lobster meal in NYC, but you're going to pay through the nose for it.

I will admit that good blue crabs can be almost as good as lobster for a lot cheaper (even in NYC in chinatown).

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Reading this is making me hungry for a simple, fresh, split lobster, brushed with butter then grilled and ready to eat with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon. Served with grilled corn and backed potatoes.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Best lobster I've ever had was at the Lobster Pound in Belfast, Maine. $14 or something like that for a lobster with some sides; the only seating consisted of picnic tables outside.

I should try the Luke's that opened up here in Philly.

11. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

This thread is horrible on an empty stomach.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yes! Lobster should only be eaten out of a plastic basket while you are seated at a greasy picnic table next to a cinder block structure with screen windows, lots of flies and an almost overwhelming odor of fried food.

13. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

It's the closest we come to being okay with eating insects in this country.

14. yierlidds

yierlidds Member

15. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Some members of my family used to own a fish distribution business and take-out shack near the coast in Massachusetts. When I was a kid, they'd have this big clam bake every summer. Holes would be dug in the sand and filled with a layer of sea weed. They'd top that seaweed with a thick layer of smoldering charcoals, top the coal with a bit more seaweed, then wooden crates of clams, fish, maybe some crabs, and lobster, then more seaweed and finally a tarp to cover the whole thing.

I'm not sure how long they waited because I wasn't interested in the steamers and lobster and it was usually already set up when we arrived. You'd find me at the grill getting steak or the fryer getting onion rings, fried scallops, and shrimp, anyway. The steamers tasted to me like the low tide can sometimes smell and the lobster freaked me out. Clams are still not my thing, but I will eat lobster that's been taken out of the shell and used in dishes. The whole bib + lobster ritual is a hassle and a mess and, to me anyway, not worth the effort.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013