1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Holy Hell it is even more humid today than it was yesterday.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

it can't be a coincidence that weather reporters almost never mention the humidity. Which is really the only thing that matters. It's like they are just doing PR for NY. "If we mention it, people will realize that NY sucks!"

3. Sashu

Sashu Well-Known Member

Well, it happened. Welcome to dealing with JFK and LaGuardia (which I am convinced is the CDC-approved human equivalent of Plum Island)

I always figured the humidity was implied with NY weather. Mentioning it every day seems like an exercise in futility.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

see thread title

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yeah, you always have to look at the dew point. If the dew point is over 65 it gets really sticky.

Humidity is weird. I was reading about it recently, specifically why it is always "relative". Relative to what? Well, relative to the kinetic energy in the air (temperature). This is why at night the humidity rises. The temperature drops, so there is less kinetic energy so the humidity proportion is higher. Very strange stuff.

6. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Distinguished Member

Ny in the summer is like Clifford The Big Red Dog following you around, panting hot wet breath down your neck everywhere you go.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

7. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Welp, going to have to have every single thing I wore today dry cleaned due to sweat. Possibly including my shoes.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i had a pretty awesome two days. lobster rolls and beer two lunches in a row.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I'm home for a wedding and I was driving today for the first time in six months and the road got blocked because some stupid geese were waddling across the road. This used to really piss me off, but after dealing with broken trains and other inconveniences to commutes on the MTA, I couldn't have been happier to get slowed down by something other than stupid geese. Then I drove to my destination in about 30 minutes, and it felt like five minutes. It's amazing how much the MTA lowers your expectations of pleasant commuting and raises the bar on misery you'll tolerate before jumping in front of a train.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

10. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

I checked into a hotel in LA a couple of nights ago and was informed that I was there on swing dancing night. The cute girl at the registration desk took in my suit and asked "Do you swing?"

I cracked up and said I didn't realize it was that kind of hotel. Got a big smile and a laugh from her and we joked about how it was a 'full service hotel'.

11. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

Where? I'm totally hooked on Luke's.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I had a lobster roll from the Red Hook place. I really didn't understand the appeal of it, especially for $16. It seems like one of those contradictions where you take a fine ingredient and dumb it down with bread and garnishes for the sake of economy until the fine ingredient gets lost anyway. Outside of rare special occasions, eating those things seems like a waste.

13. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

I have never had lobster roll in my life so far, am I missing out?

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

IMO, no. I think you're more well served spending that money on a sandwich at Porchetta. Maybe I've just never had the right lobster roll. I may have only had from Luke's so far though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Lobster rolls suck IMO. Just go with the classic fish and chips.