Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Penn Station is an embarrassment to this city.

And yes, everything is broken here. You're lucky the power didn't go out on you during the heatwave.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

that area really is one of the dirtiest places in the city, IMO. It's weird, and I'm not sure why it is the way it is. The "dirtiest places" exception is obviously Canal Street.

we just got through a terrible heat wave where the humidity and heat combination was outrageous.

3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Grand Central is much nicer

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

20th to 30th is full of cheap knock offs, the only part that's semi nice looking between 20 to 30 is probably Madison and 5th, 10 blocks up or down looks nicer

edit: 20th to 30th on Park and Lex is ok, but Park is all commercial, and Lex is residential+school and not so great food (with few exceptions)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

walking east from MSG is the dirty part i'm thinking of.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

overall though, was a great time.

i stayed at the ace though, and won't be staying there ever again. the most deliberate and overdesigned place i've ever been. there was a moment when my girlfriend and i were waiting for the elevator, and we noticed there was a bunch of graffiti by the call button, and we couldn't tell if t was actual graffiti or part of the ace's overbearing attempt to be hip. the beds were very comfortable though.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

i found the whole area between bryant park and union square pretty gross. also stumbled onto the high line, would've been really nice if there wern't 5000 other people. this was at like 3pm on monday, so not even after work hours.

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I've stayed at the one in Portland and thought it was a little sparse and industrial for my tastes.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

i think there comes a point when it's 7:30 at night, you're waiting for your elevator between the opening ceremony store, the stumptown coffee shop and the portland-headquarted barber shop, and jayz's 'big pimping' is blaring at an ear-splitting volume from the dj 50 feet from you, and you're surrounded by people on their macbook airs talking about #menswear that you want to kill yourself.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

DC is kind of a bullshit comparison because the rest of us 'mericans foot the bill for the capital's largesse. Given how governments operate, is it any surprise that the clowns in Washington appropriate disproportionate funding to keep the city clean and full of national monuments, museums, etc.? I'm not saying it adds up to real dollars, but it is clear that DC is different from the rest of the country in that regard and a complete outlier.

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

There's that brick at the edge of the of the restored ceiling that shows how filthy GC used to be:
    [​IMG]

and of course, Penn Station used to look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  13. Teger

Teger Senior member

well, i think probably the bigger difference is density of people. even the busiest sections of DC are nowhere near as dense in nyc, and more people - more trash, more filth. the buildings and infrastructure are also much older, so... but still, should be cleaner!

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I get viscerally angry when I think about how they tore down Penn Station to build that shithole we have now. The greatest city in the world, and you enter it like a rat through a dark, dank tunnel. It's a disgrace.

15. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

DC?
    There are parts of DC I wouldn't want to be in at any hour even with Michelle Rhee holding my hand.