Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Those people paying cash for their apts have to summer somewhere.

Montauk may be less expensive. If you want a beach vacation the jersey shore is worth checking out, but I kind of hate it there. If you don't need the beach I would go to the Catskills. I've been spending a lot of time there and quite like it.

lefty

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Sellers in our building all seem to use the same couple of brokers, including the b!tch we had to deal with when we bought our apartment - completely unresponsive, never returned a phone call. In fact, I never set eyes on her (wife met her once, briefly) until the closing when she showed up half way through to "check up on us". For the first couple of years whenever we bumped into her she'd put on this uberfake smile and gush to whoever she had with her "there are my two FAVORITE clients!". Every time I see her and her stupid fake tan I think about the $$$$ we paid her and have to struggle to prevent the sight of her from ruining my day :cloud:

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Ugh, that's the worst part--most brokers do absolutely nothing to earn *any* sort of payment, much less the many thousands you have to shell out.

I did have a broker once that was great--he actually, *gasp*, acted as an agent for us, found lots of great places, took us to them, told us where the landlord was a bit overpriced and even negotiated the rent down a bit for us. Still wasn't worth what we had to pay him, but at least he *worked* for it, so I was much less angry writing that check.

But most guys just turn the key, say "you want it?", and for that expect a $5k check. Fuck that.

Maybe my worst broker story was a when I went to go see a unit a larger multi-unit place. I didn't like the specific unit due to location in the building, but told the broker that if he had anything similar to let me know. He said fine. Later *that same day* I see another, better unit in the *same building* listed under the *same broker*. It's like he didn't even want to so much as have to *think* to get that paycheck.

Actually, no, my worst is when I actually had decided to rent a place and went to go sign the lease. The broker was well over an hour late. Eventually I said fuck it and went to another open house nearby. Ended up taking that place. He called me back 4 or 5 hours later asking where I was and I told him tough shit, I had already taken another place because I got tired of waiting on him. He was actually *surprised and indignant* about this turn. Lazy asshole.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I was at a dog park in Connecticut this weekend and talked to a guy in his 70's who has two sons in apartments he bought for them one in greenpoint and the other in cobble hill.

It seemed like just what was mentioned sound investment for the family. He had this old assed diesel Mercedes - at one point he asked to drive my diesel vw sportwagen. I was standing there with my dogs and his huge standard poodle and wondered if I just let my car get stolen and have to adopt his dog while he drove off with my car.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I just got back. if you rent for a week (or month), it drops from the prices you quoted. Depending on what you are looking for in terms of space and amenities, you should be able to do something under $500 (but not much) per night at a B&B. If you give me more info on what you want (accomodation size, do you want to walk to beach/stores or do you want to be somewhere away from everything).

If you want to be within walking distance to everything and be right on the beach, its going to be pricey. The upside is you literally can get anything you need within a 5 minute walk. We used to stay where we had to drive everywhere but now stay where we can just walk and I find it much more enjoyable.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

8. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Ooh, ooh, I know, I know!"

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I'm thinking I'm going to some events in Bridgehampton and East Hampton. convenience to the locations is more important than the beach and etc.

Is it better to rent a house with a group than going for a bed-and-breakfast? It seems a lot of the rentals require one-two weeks but I only need it for 2 nights.

10. Garth Vader

[​IMG]

"Depends. Do you know Gatsby?"

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

12. Garth Vader

I'd heard that the Eggs were cracking down on airbnb the same way NYC has. No?

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the NYC site looks pretty robust to me. I'm amazed at what one can find for a couple of bucks a night compared to a hotel.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Depends on the zoning laws, as well as whether or not you are renting or own.