1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

today's weather was indeed bothersome.

but, personally, id reserve terms like "truly horrific" for things like, i don't know, actual natural disasters.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

sometimes you have to think really hard for reasons why New York doesn't suck.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

it was 90ºF then torrentially rained, then hailed 1" spheres of ice about three weeks ago in brooklyn. That wasn't horrific. But some humidity on a 75ºF rainy day apparently is.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Duh. The Knicks.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

What a great day!

It was, according to the radio, 71 when I left my house. I sweat through my cloths--linen shirt and tropical suit--on my 10 minute walk to the train. Then, because the MTA no longer air conditions the trains, I sweat all the way to midtown. I sweat more on my walk to the office. Then, because apparently my office building is cutting costs too, I sweat all day at my desk--with my jacket OFF.

6 pm, time to leave for a banquet. It's downtown. Go to the downtown six, wait forever on platform that is hotter and steamier than the sauna at my pool where the old men sit to feel alive. The train arrives, no AC, then another walk to the venue, by the time I arrive I feel as if I have been soaked with a hose.

The venue is fine old structure, built as a bank. They knew how to build large, cool spaces in those days, before AC. I used to know the formula, but I don’t any more but basically it’s a combination of the volume of air in the space plus the height of the ceiling plus the thickness of the walls. So very large space, very high ceiling, very thick walls = cool space, pretty much at all times. This is why the main hall of Grand Central is almost always cool (though never the platforms).

But it doesn’t work if you put 800 motionless people in there crammed cheek by jowl. No AC. So I sweat through another 3 hours.

I go outside to get the subway uptown. It is 9:30. Guess what! The entire Lex express is … closed! Uptown AND downtown! Closed for construction, at fucking 9:30 on a weeknight!

What am I supposed to do? Walk over to the N-R and take that. Oh, so go blocks out of my way in this stifling heat to take a train to the West Side when I want to go to the East Side? Great.

Fuck that, I will take a cab. BTW, fares just went up yesterday by 17%. Yeah, you read that right. There are no cabs. I walk ten blocks up Broadway until I find a cab. The temp says 67. It feels like 110. I am drenched.

There is no AC in the cab. 20 minutes, $23.50,and ten gallons of sweat later, I am at GC. Missed my train by a minute. Have to wait 30 minutes for the local. Sitting and stewing—even the grand old architecture of GC can’t do anything about this liquid air. Local train also has no AC. All the public accommodations in NY have stopped AC. Obama austerity. Can’t cut bennies to the public employee unions after all and we have to save somewhere!

By the time I get off the train it is after 11. Nominally “cool” but torturously miserable. Some fuckhead runs a stop sign and almost runs me over. I whack his piece of shit car with my umbrella. He stops, apparently contemplates getting out to challenge me, then races off. Hey, this is New York! The city that never sleeps! Or the suburb that never sleeps. If killing you will save me a nanosecond, then you are expendable, asshole!

They say the next three or four days will be “more” humid. How is that physically possible? The definition of that is “pool.” How could anyone breathe such air without drowning?

3 people like this.
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Sounds like you had a miserable time. Time to unwind with a nice bottle of wine

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^lol... by the way I was being a dick in my post above.

I had today off (but did work sunday and labor day) and decided to do some chores around the house (fix some drawers in the kitchen, vacuum, clean the carpets with my new hoover steam vac)... I was in a full sweat from 8am (when I started) until after lunch.

I even mistakenly thought that it was going to be cool out and first thing in the morning 7am walked the dog for a mile wearing pants, rain jacket and llbean duck boots and was cursing myself half a mile in and drenched with sweat (it was officially 72ºF and 197% humidity). I should of been in shorts and tshirt and let the rain hit me uninhibitedly.

From there I started on the kitchen drawers and was just stewing in sweat to the point that I was too lazy to even cook breakfast/lunch and just ordered in food. After lunch I started vacuuming then cleaning the carpets with a huge heavy cumbersome hoover steam vac and had probably drank 5 vitamin waters in the span of 3 hours.

I sweated through about 4 tshirts today. The shower before sleep was sweet relief along with air conditioning.

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

New York officially sucks a little more today, but not to worry, I'm only here for a couple of days, then onto CT.

The weather seemed pretty nice last night, but I love warm humid evenings in the City. Mrs. a, on the other hand, starts complaining about the heat when it gets over 70 in SF, so I have that to look forward to for the rest of our trip.

9. Manton

nice little downpour that followed me from GC to my office, then stopped as soon as I got to the front door.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

nobody poops but Manton

1 person likes this.
  11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Would you mind sharing your calendar for e day, so that I can avoid any further downpours? I'll just make it a point to be inside whenever you are out and about. Kthanxbi.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i took a bit of a walk at lunch. Happy to report that I did not break a sweat, not at all (though I did this morning on my way to work. I blame the subway)

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Count your blessings. In my town it's raining men.

Hallelujah.

lefty

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  15. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

It's 76 degrees here and there is a light drizzle after several weeks of majestic skies.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

"how much to have somebody clean the windows? fuck that, i'm on it. where are my shoes? eh, fuck those too."

[​IMG]

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I kinda call BS on that^^. Are you taking the Metro North into the city? I haven't been on a subway train in a long time w/o AC. I ride the 4,5,6 to meet with clients near GC(did that today) or down near the Wall St area(also did that today.) I take the F to/from work. Also catch the N,R to clients on the west side....I know not what you are talking about....

1 person likes this.
  19. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Must have real crappy subway luck because all the lines ter1413 mentioned along with the A/C/E/B/D/L/S/1/2/3/J/M/Z have had the AC every time I got on.

The few times I've experienced a no AC car it was always the first car and I would just move to another at the next stop.

20. Manton

well i was sort of full of shit.

however, I will say that Metro North has the FANS on but not always the coolant. So they keep the air moving but often it's still stifling. I have to assume that is cost cutting because it's been going on all summer

90% of subway time is 4/5/6 and it's not bad, I must admit.