• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons Why LA Sucks

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I was exaggerating a bit on the use. My point was just that our county is the size of Rhode Island and Delaware and has an enormous population. To spend a billion dollars plus eternal maintenance and operation costs for something that serves people that live and work within half a mile of a station seems like a waste of money. The blue line is one of our most utilized and it gets less than 15,000 rides a day out of the millions of commuters here. It's nice that you and some other commuters find it useful, but that money, and all money used for the subways could have gone farther in alleviating traffic congestion on the freeways.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, you're certainly right that the limited amount of light rail we have in southern california hasn't been nearly as effective at easing traffic congestion as, say, the new york subway.:)
seriously, i do think it's an important part of the puzzle and will become more important (and more visible) as it continues to expand.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

well, you're certainly right that the limited amount of light rail we have in southern california hasn't been nearly as effective at easing traffic congestion as, say, the new york subway.:)
seriously, i do think it's an important part of the puzzle and will become more important (and more visible) as it continues to expand.

I really disagree, or at least hope you are wrong. It isn't worth billions of dollars to keep a few thousand more people off the road per project. I used to think as you did, but I no longer see anything to support that view.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really disagree, or at least hope you are wrong. It isn't worth billions of dollars to keep a few thousand more people off the road per project. I used to think as you did, but I no longer see anything to support that view.

i guess it depends on what you think is a few thousand. from wikipedia
The Blue Line was originally projected to have a daily ridership of 5,000. Within the first months of service, daily ridership had reached 12,000, and by the end of the first year of service, daily ridership was at 32,000. As of July 2011, Metro estimated that the Blue Line had over 90,000 average weekday boardings, and 26.26 million yearly boardings.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Government does not do this nearly enough. There is virtually no cost-benefit analysis performed. This is actually an area I've made quite a successful career in. More well-known federal examples include $50 billion in direct costs in response to a handful of anthrax deaths, hundreds of thousands of dollars to warn people about the dangers of angry texting, spending tens of millions to advertise the EITC so that people who didn't pay any income tax can get money "back", etc.... but there are countless examples at the local and state level.

But this is not the politics tab, so I'll STFU.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
How are you liking southern Alabama? I have family in Fairhope. Seems like a nice little area.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timely thread. What's everyone doing for Carmageddon II?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timely thread. What's everyone doing for Carmageddon II?

doesn't bother me! i take public transportation!
seriously, i avoid the 405 pass like the plague anyway. i live in long beach and just head up the 710 to the 101 to get to the other side of the hill.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nightlife in LA is pretty horrible. well, not horrible. just ends too early.
anyone 5 miles out of where you live is geographically undesirable due to traffic, parking concerns, etc.

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, the roads are like 3rd world nation bad with potholes. and this is beverly hills.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
line for a cup of coffee.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, we live by the beach...but the water is too cold/dirty to actually go swimming in.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Nightlife in LA is pretty horrible. well, not horrible. just ends too early.

But unlike most other cities there is a good chance of actually meeting someone attractive. Although this leads to some funny situations too. I remember hitting it off with a girl in Echo Park and she told me to follow her home. Turned out she lived in West Hollywood, almost all the way to Beverly Hills. There was an accident on Melrose and I ended up following her home for 40 minutes. Might have been more like an hour. Woke up with a parking ticket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads