• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reasons to use braces?

stanwelks

Reaction score
I am not planning to wear braces because my trousers seem to fit fine. Should they be worn anyways? Are there other reasons to wear them?

Thanks.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People wear them to keep their trousers up. Some people wear fancy colours and what not, using them as a fashion statement, but their primary function is to keep your trousers up.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When wearing a DB coat or a vest it is appropriate to wear braces. Belts are traditionally inappropriate in those situations. You may wear them with SB jackets and suits as fashion statements, but belts are acceptable.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
A reason to wear them is if you are 'teh fat'.

I mean stretching the boundaries of 'quite large' to full scale 'jolly fat man' teh fat.
I remember my old physics teacher at school having to wear them, easier than finding a belt for such a circumference I suppose.

Since I am now just lazing about until fortune comes my way I too am striking fatness - braces are far more comfortable, especially if your old belts are too tight.

Braces are far more comfy for the gravitationally challenged - far more comfy - I'd imagine that they'd be better for everyone really, you don't have a tight band around your waist, constricting circulation when you sit... although that could be just me in my current state - god I need exercise.

LanceW

Reaction score
Braces allow trousers to be worn at the proper waist and hang from the shoulders which allow better lines. I would be surprised to see belt worn trousers fit as perfectly as brace worn trousers.

stanwelks

Reaction score
Should I wear them even if the trousers fit ok to make sure they stay at the proper waist?

lenahan

Reaction score
Comfort: try wearing a pair of trousers comfortably at the natural waist with a belt, cinched tightly so that the pants do not move about.
Appearance: a belt brakes up an outfit, which if one is going for the illusion of height is ruined.
Color: the opportunity to experiment with colourful braces is far more enjoyable than with brown, black or other leathers.
Efficiency: In many ways, braces act as a very efficient simple maching for the holding up of trousers.
Longevity: assuming one does not wear the same pair every day, a collection of braces will last for a considerable amount of time, far more so than a belt will, for the pressure of a buckle will create an unsightly impression.

However, if one's trousers are too large, then braces or a belt will not be enough, and ones trousers would sag under their own weight.

surfjones

Reaction score
I have been wearing braces almost exclusively for several years. Mainly it is a comfort issue for me ... I find that if I wear a belt tight enough to really hold up my pants, when I sit down there is no give in the leather and it feels tight. Also, no matter how I wear a belt I find it inevitable that I'll have to hike up my pants several times a day while walking around.

The braces let me wear my pants considerably looser around the waist, keep the pants up without the need for adjustment, and also allow me to carry things in my pockets like a cell phone or wallet without them pulling my pants down.

If you can get over the stigma of wearing them, I highly recommend them.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find braces make my shirt not lay very well. Anyone have this problem?

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I find braces make my shirt not lay very well. Anyone have this problem?

when I wear braces with shirts with a box pleat it makes the back right between the braces poof up. I have since switched my shirts to dart pleats and I don't have that problem.

jimp

Reaction score
I prefer the "cleaner" look you get by wearing a belt, but find that braces are more comfortable.

juuceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
When wearing a DB coat or a vest it is appropriate to wear braces. Belts are traditionally inappropriate in those situations. You may wear them with SB jackets and suits as fashion statements, but belts are acceptable.

<fail>

Vests and double breasted have nothing to do with the appropriate wear of braces.

howbah

Reaction score
here in the USA, braces are used to straighten children's teeth.

weird fact: In the UK, people use the word "braces" when they mean "suspenders"!

(they don't ever use "braces" in our sense of the word, as any photo of a British person will confirm!!!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads