• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reasons to use braces?

Spong

Reaction score
I don't understand all the stigma around clip-on suspenders, I only wear mine under a waistcoat or sweater anyway so no-one ever sees them. If you're wearing them just over a shirt I can understand the clips are unsightly but when people start getting all up in arms over something deliberately hidden it begins to smell a bit suspect to me.

thebarbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spong
I don't understand all the stigma around clip-on suspenders, I only wear mine under a waistcoat or sweater anyway so no-one ever sees them. If you're wearing them just over a shirt I can understand the clips are unsightly but when people start getting all up in arms over something deliberately hidden it begins to smell a bit suspect to me.

While the clips are unsightly, if you are hiding them they can be fine....for the most casual pants available. The main problem with most clip-on suspenders is that they use alligator clips, which will often tear, fray, or otherwise damage the wool/cotton/other material waistband of most dress pants. If for some reason you'd like to wear them with jeans, have at it!

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Braces are comfortable. As I don't remove my jacket in public, no one is the wiser, either. Well, except you lot.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
on a side note how can you tell if a pair of braces is well made and who still makes well made braces.

I use Trafalgar and BB braces.

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador

Both great brands, but no one beats Albert Thurston. Shipping across the Atlantic takes time. I recommend ordering them from Will, over at A Suitable Wardrobe; they already went through customs, and already have the white, hand stitched, ends, which are preferable to black, and the hand stitching method and leather used is the strongest, and the store carries the most useful colors.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
Braces are cooler in the summer, because the air circulates under your trousers a little better.

Do you actually believe that? You honestly think that tiny little bit of space will actually make your body cooler?

I get how that would work in theory, but in a real life situation I doubt you would actually notice the difference. If your body needs to maintain such a consistent temperature I would hate to see what would happen when you have to walk up a set of stairs or exert any kind of energy that could potentially raise your temperature by a half degree. Good thing you remembered your braces today though or you would have been boiling to death.

What about your shoulders? Arent you concerned with the added temperature that the braces will add at the point of contact?

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spong

they look cheap and they tear up your pants. and they're just inherently lame, like clip-on ties.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Do you actually believe that? You honestly think that tiny little bit of space will actually make your body cooler?

I get how that would work in theory, but in a real life situation I doubt you would actually notice the difference. If your body needs to maintain such a consistent temperature I would hate to see what would happen when you have to walk up a set of stairs or exert any kind of energy that could potentially raise your temperature by a half degree. Good thing you remembered your braces today though or you would have been boiling to death.

What about your shoulders? Arent you concerned with the added temperature that the braces will add at the point of contact?

I wear both belts and braces and I have also found braces to be cooler.

Back the the original question, I find braces to be much more comfortable, cooler, look better, hold pants at the correct height all day, and dont make vests bulge. To be a little too honest, the only thing I think a belt is better for is when you have to go to the gentlemans room and sit on the commode. That said, for standing operations in the mens room braces are better yet again......

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
I wear both belts and braces and I have also found braces to be cooler.

Back the the original question, I find braces to be much more comfortable, cooler, look better, hold pants at the correct height all day, and dont make vests bulge. To be a little too honest, the only thing I think a belt is better for is when you have to go to the gentlemans room and sit on the commode. That said, for standing operations in the mens room braces are better yet again......

Like I said, I would hate to see what happens when you encounter stairs with your extra sensitive body temp.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Like I said, I would hate to see what happens when you encounter stairs with your extra sensitive body temp.

You dont have to hate to see anything. You can just continue to wear belts through the summer and all will be fine and dandy. That you have a different experiece is ok, as it seems like you need someone to tell you that.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your trousers will naturally gravitate to your natural waist if you are using sidetabs/belts.

If you want to change the look and rise of your trouser waist, braces are needed to keep them there.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador

I work for bb and I'm not sure I'm not sure if I should buy the brooks brothers retaill braces or the outlet braces they're both made by trafalgar

;the outlet braces cost 39 dollars and 95 cents the retail braces cost 88 dollars I get 60 percent of anything I buy which ones should I buy is there a difference

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
You dont have to hate to see anything. You can just continue to wear belts through the summer and all will be fine and dandy. That you have a different experiece is ok, as it seems like you need someone to tell you that.

I definitely need to be told exactly what it is you are telling me. I still dont think anyone explained how it is possible to endure the excruciating heat that occurs in my shoulders when wearing braces vs the times I choose to go without. Im thinking that scientifically I may be .5 - .8 degrees cooler if I choose to go without a belt or suspenders and that may make all the difference in my day to day lifestyle. God forbid I should encounter any kind of situation where I do any type of physical labour. If that were to happen I think I would literally die of exhaustion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads