• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons people get custom clothes

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTR suits fit me very well without any major alterations. I'm 6'2" with a slim built, an OTR 42L usually fits me just fine. I personally just love the fitted look of a well tailored suit. I always get the sides/back taken in on my jackets as to give them that beautiful silhouette shape.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
For me #1 as a primary choice (more on Johnny Goodman side than Johnny Depp side), combined with #3 (#2 I can handle). For the "if you can afford" - here in Central Europe you can get a decent bespoke at lesser prices than a "brand" made in china, glued suit.

Palladio

Reaction score
I have to buy custom (bespoke or MTM) suits, sportcoats, and shirts, because I have odd upper-body proportions (40R chest, 44R back and shoulders) which make it impossible to fit off of the rack. I don't mind, since this allows me to customize my garments' fabric, style, and detailing considerably, which I enjoy.

Thankfully, I can buy odd trousers off-the-rack for cheap.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. they do not fit into what is available RTW, Such as they need a 16" collar and they need a 17" to fit their body.

2. looking for specific details that are not available in rtw on a regular basis. french cuff shirts with buttondown collars.

3 they like the idea of having clothing made.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
#2 makes no sense, since it takes considerably more time to get custom clothes than it does to shop for RTW.

On "talent," RJ, I think you know exactly what he means.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#4 - status

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#5 - StyleForum

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1- Well, at one time I thought OTR fit pretty well- now every time I try on an OTR jacket, it's: WTF! this doesn't fit AT ALL!

#2 Don't really like shopping with pushy salespeople I use our e-vendors above for "shopping"

#3 Nobody makes what I like in OTR anyway. <<<<<<<

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Interesting custom site:

Edressit

Status out the ying yang.

- B

Ooooh it's so you!!!!

15221221.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hah! No kidding:

279450690_xwdos-XL.jpg

I used a different tailor though, damnit.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outstanding! So I guess you're going with #3 then?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Outstanding! So I guess you're going with #3 then?

I don't know, now that there's a #4, I might have to go with that...perhaps I should get the word "bespoke" embroidered right under the breast pocket, so people will really marvel.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads