• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons not to wear black?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
My friend loves to wear black. Work is mostly black dress pants and a black shirt. Or a silver shirt and black pants and a black trench coat and always black shoes, dress boots, etc.

I asked why he didn't want to wear more color, and he replied that he just liked black. "Besides," he said "what's wrong with black?"

I couldn't really give a very good answer (and I didn't want to step on his toes any more).

So, we all know black is "for funerals and waiters" but that really doesn't matter much to most people. Are there other reasons people shouldn't wear black?

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
My friend loves to wear black. Work is mostly black dress pants and a black shirt. Or a silver shirt and black pants and a black trench coat and always black shoes, dress boots, etc. I asked why he didn't want to wear more color, and he replied that he just liked black. "Besides," he said "what's wrong with black?" I couldn't really give a very good answer (and I didn't want to step on his toes any more). So, we all know black is "for funerals and waiters" but that really doesn't matter much to most people. Are there other reasons people shouldn't wear black?
Black clothes absorb electromagnetic waves, causing sweats esp. in the summer leading to BO issues.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love black too! there is nothing wrong with black. whats right about white and blue?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
So, we all know black is "for funerals and waiters" but that really doesn't matter much to most people. Are there other reasons people shouldn't wear black?

I don't really buy into all the SF anti-black [clothing] sentiments.

I'd say that a good reason for avoiding black however is the stark contrast it can have against very white skin. When I'm untanned, I think it makes me look sickly. I do wear black pants though.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
i love black too! there is nothing wrong with black. whats right about white and blue?

From a Freudian take, people generally dress up to feel important. Black reduces the stature of a man, causing him to appear weak and impotent. This is why I like to clothe myself with the colors of the rainbow.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My chief objection to black is that it's so severe it doesn't play well with other colors. Your friend doesn't seem to wear other colors, from your description, so I'd say that going all black is a bit cliche/obvious/goth/Matrix/art dealer/high school. It's an easy out, and usually signals that the guy is either trying very hard or doesn't have ideas of his own. Not always -- some people do black very well. But the vast majority don't.

Black also doesn't flatter many complexions. I can't even wear some shades of navy without looking like an undertaker.

In warm weather, black just looks odd. I always feel sympathy when I see a gaggle of new college grads standing under the beating sun in their ill-fitting black suits. It just looks so hot.

In your friend's case, I'd worry about the silver shirt first, the black second.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Call me a nonconformist, but I think black is actually appropriate for people other than waiters and funeral directors. I'm sure the black and silver combo works well in your friend's Vegas lounge act circles. Be careful suggesting he change his costume because the other magicians and Johnny Cash impersonators will tell him otherwise.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BABuckeye
Call me a nonconformist, but I think black is actually appropriate for people other than waiters and funeral directors. I'm sure the black and silver combo works well in your friend's Vegas lounge act circles. Be careful suggesting he change his costume because the other magicians and Johnny Cash impersonators will tell him otherwise.

thank you for enforcing yet another sf neurosis

Nexus6

Reaction score
Black is the historical colour of death & evil. Dracula wore black. Frankenstein wore black. Jesuit priests wear black robes. So do many other clergy. Women wore (wear) black to mourn their husbands at funerals, and are even required to wear it every day for a passage of time thereafter, according to some religious beliefs. Heavy Metal bands with their tiresome 'worship satan' mantra, wear black. Toss in almost every other HM band. Morticians wear black. Alice Cooper wore black....etc etc. Ofcourse today, and ever since the early 1980's, black is worn by anyone anywhere anytime, but the people wearing it are scarcely aware of the original and historical meaning of using the color.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
imo, black is a lazy way to dress as opposed to having to decide what color/pattern/etc... to wear.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to match with my brown shoes. Plus it's so much nicer to wear a pair of charcoal, gray, or navy pants that accomplish the same thing as black but are so much easier to match with other articles of clothing.

My co-workers were shocked when I told them I didn't own a pair of black pants.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he likes Rick Owens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads