• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced, slim M65 ?

Goblin

Reaction score
I've owned black and olive M65s, both from military surplus stores, and both in an era when I wore big-ass baggy clothes. I'm now looking for a new winter coat and I'm interested in an M65, but I'd like one that actually fits well.

I see from other threads that many companies make "fashion" M65s. I'd like a slim M65 that DOESN'T COST SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS.
frown.gif
Does such a thing exist? I seriously have trouble paying a lot for an army jacket.

In the alternative, I think I remember another poster mentioned having a GI M65 taken in ... is this something a tailor should be able to do without the end product looking ridiculous? How much would it cost? I really don't know the first thing about tailoring ...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd have to seriously recut an M65 to fit well (it's intended as a cover that goes over a lot of other stuff, not as a jacket you wear over maybe a tshirt or fashionable sweater). A good tailor should be able to do it; a bad one, notsomuch.

Goblin

Reaction score
I just saw this on another thread ... may be exactly what I'm looking for at $128:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...001&pid=378355

Any idea how the sizing runs on Gap stuff? I'm a 38R and wear a Small in nearly everything, but some brands require me to wear a Medium so they're not too tight across the shoulders.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I just saw this on another thread ... may be exactly what I'm looking for at $128:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...001&pid=378355

Any idea how the sizing runs on Gap stuff? I'm a 38R and wear a Small in nearly everything, but some brands require me to wear a Medium so they're not too tight across the shoulders.

THe girl version is much more well fitting and cheaper! http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...739&pid=413105 but its a lot more uhh girly...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gap one is like a weird, ****** copy of the EG M65. Note the fake shearling collar. Gap stuff is generally extremely not slim. In fact, all Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic stuff is extremely boxy.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
doesn't h&m do one?

My local H&M failed to produce one so far.
angry.gif

Agree with Arethusa that GAP stuff is boxy. That is the precise term for it.

I imagine the H&M one is coming, and then you will be able to get a fitted one for a low price.

Goblin

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads-up on Gap "boxiness" ... I only own one Gap item, a t-shirt that I picked up at a Magic Mart for $2 and which is actually pretty slim-fitting and is one of my favorite shirts.

I guess it makes sense that Gap clothing is "generously" sized.
frown.gif

Are there any online outlets for H&M? The nearest brick-and-mortar is 3 hours away.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Thank you for the heads-up on Gap "boxiness" ... I only own one Gap item, a t-shirt that I picked up at a Magic Mart for $2 and which is actually pretty slim-fitting and is one of my favorite shirts.

I guess it makes sense that Gap clothing is "generously" sized.
frown.gif

Are there any online outlets for H&M? The nearest brick-and-mortar is 3 hours away.

nope...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
H&M does/did one last month...i remember on Supertalk one generous soul buying up a stores' worth for other members. It was like $50 and looked damn good.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
My slim M65 is from H&M, from last year. I think they *do* have one again this season, but I've been trying to ignore jackets because I have plenty already. Unfortunately, they don't have any online outlets. Goblin, if you want to try calling places, I'm somewhere between a 38 and a 40 and I almost always wear a Medium in H&M outerwear. They also do some stuff by chest size. Just so you know what sizes to ask for if you call before driving three hours.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The French make an F1 jacket that is similar in some respects, and I believe a closer fit. I'm getting one myself. EDIT: The jacket I'm referring to is actually an F2.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The F1 is a shirt, a helmet, a hand grenade, and a fighter jet. It is not a jacket as far as I know.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The F1 is a shirt, a helmet, a hand grenade, and a fighter jet. It is not a jacket as far as I know.

You forgot the auto racing class designation!
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads