• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced non-iron shirts?

bubblegum

Reaction score
I am in the market for some decent non-iron dress shirts. Tried out the slim cuts from BB, seems like they are still too "boxy" for me. I have my sight on Lands End tailor cut, or Jos a Bank tailor cut, are these slimmer than BB slim cut?

The non-iron shirts I have right now are BB 346 line shirts, the fabric seems really rough and thick. Is that normal? Can I get non-iron shirts with thinner fabric?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, have some JAB and BB and BB 346 slim fit *****, i guess they are okay but farm from the best. There is something i dislike about each of them.

I mostly buy Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron slim fit shirts now, cost roughly $50 a pop, or slightly less on year-end clearance, and they are by far my favorite shirts. I think many people here will agree if that is your price point. Some will recommend TM Lewin but i was very unimpressed with my recent order from them.

bubblegum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I was in the same boat as you, have some JAB and BB and BB 346 slim fit *****, i guess they are okay but farm from the best. There is something i dislike about each of them.

I mostly buy Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron slim fit shirts now, cost roughly $50 a pop, or slightly less on year-end clearance, and they are by far my favorite shirts. I think many people here will agree if that is your price point. Some will recommend TM Lewin but i was very unimpressed with my recent order from them.

Which fit Charles Tyrwhitt shirts should I get? Slim fit or tailor fit? Are their slim fits slimmer than the BB slim fits? The BB ones are really too big for me.

ps: it seems they don't make tailored fit non-iron shirts?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubblegum
Which fit Charles Tyrwhitt shirts should I get? Slim fit or tailor fit? Are their slim fits slimmer than the BB slim fits? The BB ones are really too big for me.

ps: it seems they don't make tailored fit non-iron shirts?

Get the CT slim fit. They are quite a bit more slim that the BB slim fit shirts, but not overly so. They are just about perfect on me. I haven't tried the CT tailored fit since they are not offered in non-iron fabric. The CT non iron slim fit shirts have a nice array of patterns, and don't wrinkle during the day, but they do benefit from a quit run-down with an iron before wearing (as does any non-iron shirt).

If you only want to try out one shirt to see if you like it, I bet you can e-mail them and ask, and they will sell it to you for $50 with free shipping (as opposed to $69 and $14 shipping) if they think it will help them get a customer. That's what I did last year.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the bb extra slim fit

bubblegum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Get the CT slim fit. They are quite a bit more slim that the BB slim fit shirts, but not overly so. They are just about perfect on me. I haven't tried the CT tailored fit since they are not offered in non-iron fabric. The CT non iron slim fit shirts have a nice array of patterns, and don't wrinkle during the day, but they do benefit from a quit run-down with an iron before wearing (as does any non-iron shirt).

If you only want to try out one shirt to see if you like it, I bet you can e-mail them and ask, and they will sell it to you for $50 with free shipping (as opposed to $69 and $14 shipping) if they think it will help them get a customer. That's what I did last year.

great advice thanks.

Imperator

Reaction score
Get a girlfriend who will iron your shirts. Non-iron shirts blow.

xoxohth, friend.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator

xoxohth, friend.

I dont mind the ironing, its just the wrinkles that from during the day! I am a bit OCD and it drives me insane.

bubblegum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator

xoxohth, friend.

Too young for gf, married.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of feel, the JAB traveller shirts are the best ones I have tried. But they are still too boxy for me (5'6" 10" drop). I had them tailored and I wear them pretty regularly because I'm lazy and don't feel like ironing. I know, I know...

The Paul Frederick shirts were a great compromise in feel, fit, and price. I think I spent maybe $30 ish on each shirt. They are very nicely fitted and I'm actually pleased enough with the cut that I haven't bothered to alter them or give them away. Feel isn't so nice though, but thats ok, I hardly notice it with an undershirt on.

I have not tried CT or TML. I wouldn't buy the LE, but with their generous return policy, its not a huge risk.

Bentley

Reaction score
I've bought a number of Eton shirts that I quite like. The price point is quite a bit higher but the fabric and quality are first rate.

Also, their process of producing non-iron fabric is different from other brands...check their web site for an explanation if you're interested as I don't understand the intricacies of it but it does seem to produce shirts that are less stiff/coarse than other non-iron shirts I've worn.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, please define 'reasonably priced'.

redsocks

Reaction score
+1 on Charles Tyrwhitt for "cheap", slim, non-iron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics