• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably Priced Noise Cancelling Headphones

henrikc

Reaction score
Well, if you're just going to use them to listen to music at home I wouldn't buy noise cancelling headphones.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be one of the few people who feel that noise canceling is superior to isolation headphones. There are many on-line experts who feel isolation is the best. I think it may have to do with personal preference.

When flying, the hum and high pitched wine of engines is very tiring to my ears. I've tried isolation headphones and I still seem to sense a fair amount of hum and vibration. To counter that I need to increase volume which becomes tiring and rough on my hearing on a long flight.

Noise canceling headphones on the other hand seem to counter my awareness of the droning noises. The result is that I feel more refreshed and relaxed without having to increase volume significantly.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As other people have said, noise isolating headphones can work and be much cheaper (no need to go with expensive shures or etymotics, cheaper options will still block outside noise).

In ear isolating headphones are basically earplugs with headphones attached. They work like earplugs and don't have to be expensive. I have a cheap set that have pretty decent isolation...great for the bus (you don't have to kill your ears with volume in order to hear music) but actually kind of annoying for walking around the city since you can't hear anything except the cord dangling around as you walk.

Active canceling headphones that actually work well will be expensive...the sensation is different from earplugs (for instance, you don't get "cord noise" like you do with some in-ear sets) but...they are big, require batteries, and cost a lot of money.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
Well, if you're just going to use them to listen to music at home I wouldn't buy noise cancelling headphones.
are they just for the hum of the airplane or will they allow me not to hear noisy family members? karaoke? someone playing a video game? cars honking? perhaps they are a little bit out of my budget. these are already around $200. http://www.headphone.com/selection-g...er-pxc-350.php i don't like in ear things so much so if i don't go noise cancellation i'd go for the grado 125's? they are at the exact price point i'm willing to spend. what would be their equivalent in sennheisers?

henrikc

Reaction score
Noise cancelling headphones are best for constant sound, like airplane noises etc. They work by having a microphone that registers the sound, and it filters out the same waves so you'll just hear some white noise.
On video games it would probably have some effect, same goes for voices, but cars honking and music playing outside won't be filtered that much.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wound up getting a hybrid. They are sony noise isolating w/noise cancelling ear buds. I found them for dirt cheap, and while they are probably not quite as good as say the bose, etc... price + quality was a win for me.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Etymotic makes good noise isolation (rather than cancellation) earbuds. I wear them on flights and they are excellent for blocking out engine/ambient noise.

+1

i have a pair of etymotic hf2 for a little over a year and i love them. unlike bose, there is no artificial base, sound is very clear, and it does a fairly good job at noise canceling. when i'm in the subway here, it blocks out all noises.

even though it is a bit over your budget, i think you should give it a look.

etb

Reaction score
Any more recommendations on great-sounding, comfortable buds or on/over-ear phones with active and/or passive noise cancelling capability--mainly for sitting (travelling, cafe, library, etc.)?

Currently considering (from small to big):
Shure E2c
Audio Technica ATH-ANC1
Sennheiser PXC 250 II
JVC HANC250
Panasonic RP-HC500
Sennheiser PXC 350

Thanks!

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Noise cancelling headphones are best for constant sound, like airplane noises etc. They work by having a microphone that registers the sound, and it filters out the same waves so you'll just hear some white noise.
On video games it would probably have some effect, same goes for voices, but cars honking and music playing outside won't be filtered that much.

To add to this...
If you're using the "old" analog feedback method, the response becomes a waterbed effect. You're pushing down the low end response, but you're going to have an equal and opposite reaction on the higher end. You can spread the energy out to a small amplitude change, but you're still changing the response. This is why most people prefer isolation headphones to noise canceling.

For the newer DSP based systems, I'm not sure what the newest tricks are, so this may be a non-issue.

dmbp

Reaction score
Audio Technicas are classic airplane headphones, and they come reasonably priced. I have a pair of the ATH-ANC7 that work really well, I believe I got them in an apple store for 200 which is reasonably overpriced (I usually purchase online but it was very spur of the moment).

They have many other headphones to fit anyones taste.

If you want in the ears... I would go with Shures without a doubt. They have done me well, even if they are a bit bigger than most in the ears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads