• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced, MTM suit?

hyp3r3xt3nsion

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm 21 years old and about to graduate from College. I have my first professional interview coming up, but after suit shopping for the past three days I haven't been able to find anything that fits. My problem stems from weightlifting as I have 20 inch arms, and anything that I can fit my arms/shoulders into fits like a blimp in the waist. This is further complicated by the fact that most size 52 suits come with 44+ inch waist pants (I wear a 38 at the most, and even then the waist is loose but I need the extra room in the thigh). After visiting Men's Wearhouse, Macy's, K&G Fashion, Dillard's, and a couple other stores I can't recall at the moment, the only option seems to be a MTM suit. Right now I'm leaning towards a Hart Schaffner Marx MTM through Dillards, but with a starting price of $905 this is rather steep for me. Is this a good option? Considering that this is my first suit ever, does anyone have any better/cheaper ideas that I may have overlooked?

Thanks

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id personally recommend BBs suiting essentials MTM... the fabric isnt amazing and its made in Indonesia, BUT it is half canvased and can look pretty good.

BB was running a promo where you could get a MTM 1818 suit done for $1000 and that was made by southwick. The pro here is that all alteration were included.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM Samuelsohn is a better deal than the BB. Fully canvassed, well constructed. At a trunk show you can get in under $1k.

This suit will last a while, it is worthy of a few extra dollars to improve your professional look.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that does sound like a good deal.

hyp3r3xt3nsion

Reaction score
id personally recommend BBs suiting essentials MTM... the fabric isnt amazing and its made in Indonesia, BUT it is half canvased and can look pretty good.
BB was running a promo where you could get a MTM 1818 suit done for $1000 and that was made by southwick. The pro here is that all alteration were included.

The quality of the Brooks Brothers suit would be better than that of the Hart Schaffner Marx? I guess I'm just wondering what the advantage of going with the BB is over the HSM. If I were to go that route, how would I go about doing that? Would the promo be available at my local BB store?

MTM Samuelsohn is a better deal than the BB. Fully canvassed, well constructed. At a trunk show you can get in under $1k.
This suit will last a while, it is worthy of a few extra dollars to improve your professional look.

What exactly is a trunk show? Sorry, that's probably general knowledge for everyone else involved in this conversation haha

WaterlooMike

Reaction score

This is the second time I've heard that Samuelsohn MTM is available somewhere for a sub $1k price. Where are you finding these deals? I'm just outside Toronto, which is just outside where the suits are actually stitched up, and can't find at a trunk show for less than $1300. HELP!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the second time I've heard that Samuelsohn MTM is available somewhere for a sub $1k price. Where are you finding these deals? I'm just outside Toronto, which is just outside where the suits are actually stitched up, and can't find at a trunk show for less than $1300. HELP!

Harry Rosen. Price started at $1095 (not technically sub $1k), but a great deal none-the-less.

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Thank you. Was just in there, and ordered a suit, but went a little extravagent... so perhaps I missed the bottom end pricing somehow. I'll have to go back and see about getting a few additional staples into my closet.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "A" range fabrics are $1300ish, minus the $350 trunk show discount = ~1000-1100.

The A range is pretty nice and has a lot of the staples and includes S150s, etc.

Last edited:

wizard2193

Reaction score
Southwick suits are available fully canvassed. I have five in my closet made from both Loro Piana and Zegna fabrics that were MTM so well, I thought they were "BESPOKE" they were made so well and I could have had the tailor peg the cuffs and I could have worn them out of the shop.
If you are in college you are going to go out on a lot of post graduate interviews, unless you majored in Art History, in which case a pair of jeans and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt with the Chinese inscription "too stupid for math" written on it, then you will need a blue suit, MTM, in my opinion from Southwick,100% Tasmanian wool, purchased during a trunk show @ $2300 (less 15% discount), that will last you 18 years. Hit the old man and mom up for the difference as well as sisters, cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, God-parents...everyone and tell them they are investing in your future.

wizard2193

Reaction score
FYI...you can get Southwick suits which are half-canvassed that are MTM, but why not go ahead and spend the extra ~$100 (tax included) to get a fully canvassed suit. As for the Super 120's-150's make sure to get a Tasmanian wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics