• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonably priced dress watches

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Having drooled my way through the Watch p0rn thread, I've come to the realization that just about anything in that thread would blow my student budget out of orbit. I do however want a reasonably classy looking watch to wear when I'm dressing up. By dressing up I mean wearing a suit/tie or shirt/sports jacket.

My budget would be something around $300 with an absolute maximum of $400. I'm looking for something simplistic, so no really big watches, chronographs or overly stylish doodads. I'd really like to get my hands on a decent mechanic, but a quartz is fine if the watch looks alright. Vintage would be great, but it seems like all the really good condition ones are also really expensive. Any suggestions would be helpful!

This caught my eye while browsing: http://www.skagen.com/item/755XLSGL.fx - 40mm/11.5mm seems a bit big? It's about the same size as my day-to-day cronograph, which fits my wrist quite well though. Thoughts?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This website is right up your alley....I bought my Seiko from there. The Panerai will have to wait a few years
inlove.gif

Poor Man's Watch Forum

huy

Reaction score
Stowa Antea Date
Hamilton Jazzmaster
Tissot Le Locle
Seiko Spirit

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a cool website with a limited selection of watches, mostly vintage. You can get on his mailing list and be notified when he gets new ones in. Keep in mind most vintage watches are much smaller than many of the watches made today. www.watchcat.com

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
This is a cool website with a limited selection of watches, mostly vintage. You can get on his mailing list and be notified when he gets new ones in. Keep in mind most vintage watches are much smaller than many of the watches made today.

www.watchcat.com

That's a cool website. A lot of interesting vintage pieces in there.

strategos

Reaction score
I was in almost the exact same situation last month, and I ended up settling on the Christopher Ward Malvern Automatic.

This watch gets a fair bit of love at timezone and pmwf. Here's a review

It's a little more expensive than when that review was written, but I picked up the watch and a brown 'gator strap they've got on clearance for around $330. Part of the price increase reflects the fact that the watches are now entirely Swiss made (before they assembled Swiss movements in China). I've been extremely happy with the purchase, and the customer service was absolutely excellent.

Good luck with your search.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Great suggestions so far dudes, thanks a lot. Almost getting too many good options, going to take me ages to decide. :p

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some excellent suggestions in this thread, particularly the list from huy. If you want to go mechanical, personally I can't imagine a better choice than a Seiko Spirit - several models to choose from, all carrying the in-house 6R15 movement.

However: If you're also prepared to look at quartz (as suggested in the opening post), you should consider a Seiko SBQK079 - a bit cheaper than a mechanical Spirit, classic dressy looks (particularly if you put it on a strap) and it's fitted with the very special 8F32 high-frequency quartz movement: +/- 20 sec per year rated accuracy, perpetual calendar, 10 year battery life and low battery indicator. Seiya-san carries them.

vf55

Reaction score
Originally Posted by strategos
I was in almost the exact same situation last month, and I ended up settling on the Christopher Ward Malvern Automatic.

This watch gets a fair bit of love at timezone and pmwf. Here's a review

It's a little more expensive than when that review was written, but I picked up the watch and a brown 'gator strap they've got on clearance for around $330. Part of the price increase reflects the fact that the watches are now entirely Swiss made (before they assembled Swiss movements in China). I've been extremely happy with the purchase, and the customer service was absolutely excellent.

Good luck with your search.

+1

The Christopher Ward watches are an even better deal right now because the British Pound is around $1.60 ($1.85 in Sept). They have a very large selection on their website. Remember to check the Non-EC price if you don't live in Europe.

Pelikan2

Reaction score
Another vote for the Seiko Spirit - great watch for the money. You can choose between white and black dials, and both are attractive in my opinion.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like everything about the Seiko Spirit except it's so damn thick. I'd prefer my dress watch to be a little thinner.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
personally most of the watches mentioned are rather good. I like the Skagen you picked just fine, I have one myself and for the money I enjoy it.

Mind you, it is possible to get many Skagens for a discounted price on Amazon.com. I bought a new Skagen that was selling in stores for 160 for roughly 93 dollars. Go take a look!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Skagens and Movados are pretty cheesy. I would probably not wear one even for free. Seiko is 10x better in that price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads