• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonable quality RTW chinos.

Vizard

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some please? I prefer side adjusters to belt loops too if possible.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does "reasonable quality" mean to you? and what is your budget? It's like asking for advice on buying a "reasonable quality" car.
And are you OK with online purchases or do you need to try on?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you prefer side adjusters to belt loops, I assume that means you want tailored chinos.

I think there are three types of chinos.

The first is your basic, knock-around chinos, like what you find at J. Crew. These usually have a lower rise, double-needle stitching, and a very basic, often 10oz fabric.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 1.35.59 PM.png

They're worn by guys who take inspiration from photos like this

tumblr_m9sko3vGdh1qa2j8co2_r1_500.jpg

Next are workwear chinos, which are made from a heavier fabric (usually 12/14oz) and have double-needle stitching. They sometimes have repro-styled details, like a certain workwear-styled patch at the back or naval details. They're meant to be worn with rugged tops, such as chore coats, chambray shirts, and the like

tumblr_m9sko3vGdh1qa2j8co6_r2_500.jpeg
tumblr_m9sko3vGdh1qa2j8co3_1280.jpeg

Finally, you have tailored chinos. These have a higher rise and single needle stitching. They are meant to be worn with things such as sport coats. Comparatively, you can't wear sport coats as easily with the two options above.

tumblr_m9sko3vGdh1qa2j8co5_500.jpeg
tumblr_m9sko3vGdh1qa2j8co4_540.jpeg

Knowing what kind of chinos you want will help you figure out an appropriate budget. It takes more money to produce tailored chinos because the construction is closer to a pair of tailored wool trousers. They also often need to be dry cleaned.

If you want side tabs, that sounds like a tailored dress chino. You're not going to be able to find those for $100 because it's not possible to produce them that cheaply. Most tailored chinos I've seen start around $200. Good ones commonly go for $300 to $400.

Knockaround chinos are much easier to find on a budget.

Would be easier to give recs if you tell us more about your budget, desired look, and how you plan to wear these.

Vizard

Reaction score
If you prefer side adjusters to belt loops, I assume that means you want tailored chinos.

I think there are three types of chinos.

The first is your basic, knock-around chinos, like what you find at J. Crew. These usually have a lower rise, double-needle stitching, and a very basic, often 10oz fabric.

View attachment 1611320

They're worn by guys who take inspiration from photos like this

View attachment 1611321

Next are workwear chinos, which are made from a heavier fabric (usually 12/14oz) and have double-needle stitching. They sometimes have repro-styled details, like a certain workwear-styled patch at the back or naval details. They're meant to be worn with rugged tops, such as chore coats, chambray shirts, and the like

View attachment 1611322 View attachment 1611323

Finally, you have tailored chinos. These have a higher rise and single needle stitching. They are meant to be worn with things such as sport coats. Comparatively, you can't wear sport coats as easily with the two options above.

View attachment 1611324 View attachment 1611325

Knowing what kind of chinos you want will help you figure out an appropriate budget. It takes more money to produce tailored chinos because the construction is closer to a pair of tailored wool trousers. They also often need to be dry cleaned.

If you want side tabs, that sounds like a tailored dress chino. You're not going to be able to find those for $100 because it's not possible to produce them that cheaply. Most tailored chinos I've seen start around $200. Good ones commonly go for $300 to $400.

Knockaround chinos are much easier to find on a budget.

Would be easier to give recs if you tell us more about your budget, desired look, and how you plan to wear these.

You make a good point. I want tailored chinos and my budget is £250 (I am in the UK).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You make a good point. I want tailored chinos and my budget is £250 (I am in the UK).

Rota has become one of the go-tos nowadays for tailored chinos. They do private label manufacturing for Drake's and Anderson & Sheppard's ready-to-wear line. Note, both those companies have exclusive fits, meaning the cut of their chinos is unique to them. Rota also has their own in-house line with their own fits. I don't know who sells them in the UK, but nearly every "mensewar-y" sartorial store nowadays carries them. Lastly, you can try Trunk Clothiers and Anglo Italian in London. They will likely have this sort of thing.

Vizard

Reaction score
Rota has become one of the go-tos nowadays for tailored chinos. They do private label manufacturing for Drake's and Anderson & Sheppard's ready-to-wear line. Note, both those companies have exclusive fits, meaning the cut of their chinos is unique to them. Rota also has their own in-house line with their own fits. I don't know who sells them in the UK, but nearly every "mensewar-y" sartorial store nowadays carries them. Lastly, you can try Trunk Clothiers and Anglo Italian in London. They will likely have this sort of thing.
Thank you, I will look into these.

Vizard

Reaction score
Anglo Italian has some good looking options. But they are all pleat front and I prefer flat front, because I don't need to be made to look bigger in the middle. Not that I am fat, but I am built like a rugby player and pleats don't flatter me.

I will speak to my alterations tailor to see if he is able to sort that out.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anglo Italian has some good looking options. But they are all pleat front and I prefer flat front, because I don't need to be made to look bigger in the middle. Not that I am fat, but I am built like a rugby player and pleats don't flatter me.

I will speak to my alterations tailor to see if he is able to sort that out.

Pleats can be removed, but it's a very expensive alteration

Vizard

Reaction score
Some lovely trousers in this thread. But what is it with pleats everywhere?

Am I behind the times and flat fronts are out of style, or is it that these trousers are aimed at markets other than where I live?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeossal offers MTO high rise chinos with options of flat front and side adjusters. I’ve seen some really good results from them. Collaro is similar; I am in the process of getting my fit figured out with them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Armoury has flat-front chinos made with single needle stitching. They have locations in Hong Kong and New York City, but can ship anywhere. Since others are are recommending companies outside of the UK, I imagine this is basically the same in terms of convenience. If things don't work out, you will have to ship the pants back via international post.

No Man Walks Alone also has flat-front chinos from Rota. However, I think they've halted international shipments at the moment due to the pandemic. You can check back with them at the end of the year to see if their policy has changed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads