• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reason not to buy Zegna?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I made a mistake yesterday and I tired on a Zegna suit. Unfortunately I liked it. I guess liking it wasn't the unfortunate part, the $2200+ tax price tag was. $2200 isn't a big deal to many, but I am more like a $700-$1200 suit guy, so this is around double the most I would pay for a suit. I wouldn't have been tempted, but the fit was great, the fabric was wonderful and the suit was as basic as it gets, solid navy, two button, flat front, double vent. The style of suit was basic, but the cut and fabric made it look great.

At any rate I am interested what you guys can tell me about Zegna, as though I am aware of the brand, I have never really looked into it before.

A suit of this style is in my near future, but I planning to go with a Samuelson MTM or MTO as I found them to be good value.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the Samuelson. It's MTM to your body, no amount of RTW can beat that despite any alterations.

Zegna is alright. It's one of the big "Italian" brands when people talk about Italian suits.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two basic models for Zegna: the Milano and the Roma. The former is a fairly soft shoulder 'international' cut while the latter is a very structured roped shoulder. Samuelson has something like the Milano, but the Roma style is probably best left to the Italians. Samuelson might even offer some Zegna cloth although the swatch books I have seen do not say where the fabric is sourced.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think 2200 is out of price range for most ppl for a suit.
What's the model for the suit, is it the new Milano model? Its a more slim fit, and more flattering cut than the Roma model.

MaxJones

Reaction score
You know, it really depends. Zegna has different lines; I like the couture and xxx as well as simply Zegna. The thing is, $2000 gives you lots of options, if you have the time and patience to shop around.
That also sounds like retail. If you have more money than time and shopping patience, than retail is great. If you have the time and shopping patience, you could do some serious damage with that same money.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
There are two basic models for Zegna: the Milano and the Roma. The former is a fairly soft shoulder 'international' cut while the latter is a very structured roped shoulder. Samuelson has something like the Milano, but the Roma style is probably best left to the Italians. Samuelson might even offer some Zegna cloth although the swatch books I have seen do not say where the fabric is sourced.

The model in the tag said "Fit Rom" This was very basic cut, not slim inteh pants, not a soft shoulder, but not padded.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
In your price range you can find a MTM with Zegna cloth. And save a grand.

May do that, I beleive Coppley carries Zegna Cloth and there is special on for MTM coppley next week.

Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I would think 2200 is out of price range for most ppl for a suit.
What's the model for the suit, is it the new Milano model? Its a more slim fit, and more flattering cut than the Roma model.

"fit Rom"

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the Roma model. Stronger, roped shoulder, a bit boxier cut than the Milano.

Siggy

Reaction score
Reason not to buy Zegna = way overpriced.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
The model in the tag said "Fit Rom" This was very basic cut, not slim inteh pants, not a soft shoulder, but not padded.
I have tried on the exact suit you describe. It is the "Roma" model but it does not fit like the other Romas, it has a more flattering cut, and has a less exaggerated shoulder, right in between too soft and too padded. In short, an absolutely wonderful suit, fit me like a glove, and the color (great shade of Navy) and fabric were perfect. At $2200, I passed. But considering I wear a suit only rarely, but when I do, for very important occasions, I still consider going and picking it up.

heard546

Reaction score
You may want to try Off Saks 5th in that I recently saw a Zegna suit marked down to $329 w/ an additional 30% for clearance sale. The only reason I didn't purchase the suit is that I have several suits that I don't wear because the whether here in Texas warm/hot. In that sense, my suits stay in storage most of the time unless I am going to church or a special event.

The budget you mentioned will allow you to purchase a high quality MTM or bespoke from a tailor outside the USA.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback I'll hold off for now on this suit. No point in paying full price when I really don't have any true need for this suit as I have 5 suits that fit well in the rotation right now including two navy ones (though neither is solid)>

I will look into have a MTM suit made with this fabric.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

May do that, I beleive Coppley carries Zegna Cloth and there is special on for MTM coppley next week.

"fit Rom"

There is Coppley going on now at HR in downtown Pacific Centre. I was there today. $1040 for a suit - I was tempted..

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Yes I know, plan to swing by next week as it on all week.

BTY if you like Samuelsohn or Copley I found a place in Vancouver that does both in MTO at 15% off all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads