• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reason #1 to not shop at Walmart on Black Friday

AintDatRite

Reaction score
From the Associated Press:
NEW YORK -- Police say a Wal-Mart worker has died after being trampled by a throng of unruly shoppers shortly after the Long Island store opened Friday.

Nassau County police say the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., an hour after the store opened. Police also say a 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., in Bentonville, Ark., would not confirm the reports of a stampede during the day-after-Thanksgiving bargain hunting, but said a "medical emergency" caused them to close the store.

smack.gif

WalMart had some interesting stuff on sale but... do you really need to stampede to get it? People are out spending money they dont have on stuff they don't need and cannot afford. Next week, our local food bank will be begging for money because the number of people seeking assistance will skyrocket. When the people that spent hours lined up at Best Buy and other retailers lose their jobs in January, you will be able to purchase all of their Christmas 'stuff' on Craigslist or Ebay for even less than they paid at the sales. I guess I will never understand the reasoning behind putting yourself in debt just to buy stuff you can do without.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you imagine being trampled by a gaggle of 400 lb. trailer park women? I'd rather be drawn and quartered...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I saw that over on SlickDeals this morning.

Gotta love th pregnant woman that was there as well. Report I read said she lost the baby.

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite

WalMart had some interesting stuff on sale but... do you really need to stampede to get it? People are out spending money they dont have on stuff they don't need and cannot afford. Next week, our local food bank will be begging for money because the number of people seeking assistance will skyrocket. When the people that spent hours lined up at Best Buy and other retailers lose their jobs in January, you will be able to purchase all of their Christmas 'stuff' on Craigslist or Ebay for even less than they paid at the sales. I guess I will never understand the reasoning behind putting yourself in debt just to buy stuff you can do without.

bigstar[1].gif

Thats how I do all my X-mas shopping.

If anyone asks why its late, I tell them I don't accept that new fangled Gregorian calendar.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Of course, I only meant that you shouldn't shop at Walmart between the hours of 4:45 AM and 6 AM on the day following Thanksgiving, also known as "Black Friday". For all other hours of all other days, I encourage you to shop at Walmart... Its a great place to spend all of your money!

Full disclosure: AintDatRight owns shares of the following retailers: WMT and FDO

fing02[1].gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Can you imagine being trampled by a gaggle of 400 lb. trailer park women?

I bet ed likes trampling.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two dead in Toy R Us shooting:

A gunman opened fire at a Toys R Us store in Palm Desert, killing two and causing shoppers at the busy store to scramble for cover.

Palm Desert Councilman Bob Spiegel told The Times that based on early reports, two rival groups shopping at the store had some kind of argument and then shots were fired. Two men were killed in the exchange of gunfire, he said.

Riverside County sheriff and fire officials responded to a report of a shooting and two gunshot victims at 11:32 a.m. at the toy store in the Desert Crossing Shopping Center at 72314 Highway 111, said Cheri Patterson, information officer for Riverside County Fire and Cal Fire, based in Perris.

"We have two dead individuals inside the store," Dennis Gutierrez of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department told the Associated Press. "The events of why the shots were fired is still ongoing."

Details about the shooting were still spotty, but witnesses said the scene at the store and nearby businesses was chaotic. Witnesses told TV stations that shoppers were evacuated at about 11:30 a.m. and were told a gunman was in the store.

“I’ve got a bunch of people from Toys R Us that ran out of the building,” Jeff Vallaire, a worker at a nearby World Gym, told the Desert Sun newspaper in Palm Springs. “I’m just hearing from what they told me. They ran out the back. They heard gunshots and came in here. ... It’s pretty crazy around here right now."

Glenn Splain, another worker at the gym, told the Associated Press that some Toys R Us customers "were crying, tearing and shaking," adding that one woman came in cradling a baby. "Some people got into a fight. ... One of the guys here thought it was over a toy, but it got louder and louder and then there were gunshots."

The Desert Sun quoted a Palm Desert city official as saying the shooting might have been caused by bad blood between two groups of shoppers. “There were two groups inside that had issue with each other,” said Assistant City Manager Sheila Gilligan. “And the two men inside pulled their weapons and shot each other.”

-- Richard Winton, Molly Hennessy-Fiske and Andrew Blankstein

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
"And the two men inside pulled their weapons and shot each other."

Excellent... Two Less.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
These tragic deaths could have been prevented if an upright citizen was carying and shot them before they could shoot each other.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does Toys R Us sell Wiis? That might have caused the altercation.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
These tragic deaths could have been prevented if an upright citizen was carying and shot them before they could shoot each other.

Probably not. You know how those guns tend to jump out of the holsters and shoot on their own. People don't kill people, guns do.

Shopping has made it a nightmare around here. The drivers are worse.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Apparently someone in Charleston (SC) decided they were tired of the big holiday sales. Along Market Street (near the old slave market), someone 'superglued' the locks on the doors to about 20 stores.... took locksmiths a while to get the stores opened up this morning.

zeni

Reaction score
Just saw this on the 11o'clock news. Apparently the mob kept shopping while they were trying to save the guy's life and knocking into the police and such. People are fucked up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads