• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

@$@%#!!!! Rear ended last night!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typical. Stopped at a yellow light rather than try gunning it through. Next thing I know I hear screeching and then THUMP! I cannot see much damage other than some scrathes, even when I got under the car with a flashlight but I may still contact his insurance incase there is any structural damage. Sometimes I really hate driving.
Just had to vent. Sorry.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, and be glad you were in a car. This is one of my biggest fears on the road.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
That sucks! You may want to have someone take a look at the frame to make sure it isn't bent.

If you need a recommendation, send me a PM. My dad has a guy he uses for all his cars in Tucson - good, cheap and reliable. I'll get his contact information if you need it.

Hope the rest of your week is better.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
That sucks! You may want to have someone take a look at the frame to make sure it isn't bent. If you need a recommendation, send me a PM. My dad has a guy he uses for all his cars in Tucson - good, cheap and reliable. I'll get his contact information if you need it. Hope the rest of your week is better.
Mmm, I am getting the impression that his insurance is some sort of cut-rate carrier but I am not sure. Ideally I would have my mechanic look at it, will have to see what I gleam from his insurance company (they may demand I use one of their people). J: You're right, could have been a lot worse, especially on a motorbike. Speaking of that, a coworker's father was hit from behind in the wee hours of the morning on the freeway, either I19 or I10 by someone who fell asleep at the wheel. He got off the road with only scratches but a tour bus mere moments later ran over his motorbike (said there was basically a fireball from the fuel in the motorbike igniting).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Glad you're alright. But what about your shoes - they weren't scuffed, were they?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Glad you're alright. But what about your shoes - they weren't scuffed, were they?

Oh, there'd be hell to pay if THAT happenned
biggrin.gif
!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Typical. Stopped at a yellow light rather than try gunning it through. Next thing I know I hear screeching and then THUMP! I cannot see much damage other than some scrathes, even when I got under the car with a flashlight but I may still contact his insurance incase there is any structural damage. Sometimes I really hate driving.
Just had to vent. Sorry.

Glad you are all right and glad you are not suing! No, I wasn't the one that ran into you. I live in Texas and it's gotten out of hand here.

There are many Attorney's here in Texas, particularly in Houston, that run low-impact, soft tissue case, personal injury Law Firm mills. Most are on TV and are print advertisers too of course. They invariably send their "injured clients" to a Chiropractor and let the "Doctor" decide how much soft tissue injury has been sustained. And lo and behold, all passengers too, are always "injured as well as the driver".

An old friend of mine is an Attorney that runs one of these mills. He makes a lot of money. His attitude is that "it's a dirty business, but someone has to do it"! And another of my friends is an Ins. Co Adjustor Supv., who says that the Insurance Co.'s know that these case are generally Bullshit, but it's more cost effective for the Ins. Co.'s to pay these claims and minimize them rather than go to a lawsuit. A nasty business, but that's the way it is! At least here!

Anyway, having said all that, I'm glad to see that you don't seem to be a typical Houston, "Accident Victim". Honesty is it's own reward many times. I have been rear ended a few times with slight damage and I didn't claim personal injury. But don't hesitate to have a body shop look at any actual damage and give you a clear idea of whether or not it's worth your while to pursue the auto damage part of it. That is why you and the other driver pay Auto Insurance.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two of my kids' cars were totalled while parked at the curb in front of my house, and then my car was totalled in a situation similar to yours: sitting in line at a stop light when a drunk kid smashed into me with a 3/4-ton pickup truck.

My insurance company raised my premiums! I called and bitched to my soon-to-be-ex-brother-in-law (my agent). His reply:

"Don't make a claim."

I still may kill him.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. Glad to hear there's no real damage. I got read-ended once when I was in undergrad. The ****** didn't have insurance and was judgment proof. "Uninsured motorist insurance" have been the three magic words I've said to my agent ever since.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. At least no one was hurt. My car has been hit three times in the last six months--each time while parked. Just happened again three weeks ago. Frustrating.

b

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been rear-ended three times in the past 3 years.

All three times, I've been completely stopped at a red light.

All three times, the person who hit me had no insurance and no valid driver's license.

I'm paranoid now, any time I'm stopped at a traffic light with no one behind me.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how we pay our premiums to AVOID using the insurance company. I got a bump from a Mercedes in Dallas, you wouldn't believe how fast his insurance company cut me a check for the bumper, probably fearing a trip to the doctor from me and my passenger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads