• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really wide cuffs - In?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new issue of GQ shows severall young guys wearing slacks with very wide cuffs by today's general standards. Is this catching on? They look like at least 1 1/2", as men wore, say, 75 years ago. Flusser shows these cuffs in his photos from perhaps the 1930s, and they are also shown in the Brooks Brothers history book. A salesgirl in Macy's the other evening said "cuffs are out of style." I just think to stay they go in and out regularly, as do pleats. She said she doesn't like the latter - they make someone look heavier. Nothing new or original there.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
The new issue of GQ shows severall young guys wearing slacks with very wide cuffs by today's general standards. Is this catching on? They look like at leaset 1 1/2", as men wore, say, 75 years ago. Flusser shows these cuffs in his photos from perhaps the 1930s, and they are also shown in the Brooks Brothers history book. A salesgirl in Macy's the other evening said "cuffs are out of style." I just think to stay they go in and out regularly, as do pleats. She said she doesn't like the latter - they make someone look heavier. Nothing new or original there.

925 posts and you haven't figured this out yet?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolled cuffs seem popular at the moment. I ******* hate them.

As for normal cuffs, I wouldn't really call 1.5 inches "really wide", that's pretty average, though personally I prefer no cuffs. You should worry about what you like and what looks good more than whats 'in' at the moment.

Still, I wouldn't necessarily rely on the expertise of a salesgirl at Macy's, or a salesperson anywhere for that matter.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.5" wide? What's normal to you, 1/2"?

2" rocks!! Hell yah. All my pents have them, except for the ones that don't.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go with 1.75" and thank me later...........

SuitMyself

Reaction score
A very general consensus is that pleated pants look good with cuffs whereas flat-fronts do not.

There are always exceptions, of course.

Personally, I like my new slimmer fitting flat-front pants with a 2.5" wide cuff. Why such a wide width? Well, why not?

Most pleated pants are, in general, cut a bit wider in the thigs and at the bottom near the hem and a cuff does give the fabric a better drape and a better visual appear. That's just my own preference and observation.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read "pdial" and saw "pidal".

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
In my opinion, NO. It looks stupid.

jhva3

Reaction score
I get cuffs on just about everything. I thought I was being conservative with 1.5" cuffs.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
I get cuffs on just about everything. I thought I was being conservative with 1.5" cuffs.

I flirted with 2" for a brief period, but everything I have now is around 1.75".

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think 1.5" is normal. 2" is favored by those 'in the know'.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I said "1 1/2 inch" I was likely remembering what I had read wrong. The point is are cuffs really getting wider, as shown in GQ. Never mind the usual cracks about how many posts I have, etc. Not relevant. Asking about right now and opinions in this forum. I wasn't seeing wide cuffs in GQ even a year ago. Even a Brooks Brothers tailor was giving me pretty narrow cuffs, without my making any specific requests. Now I'd ask for wider, I guess.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will coem to find that GQ dosen't get my love on here, they often do a lot mroe harm then good. I have not seen this particular style yet, so i would say it is not the in thing. It is probably some new trendy wannabe in the mens fashion world that I hope to god dose not catch on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads