• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really who is Robert Talbott?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Oh, good: you're here. I have a question for you.

I got a size 36 jacket on teh eBay, but I am a size 58. What should I tell my alterations tailor, and most importantly, how do I tell if he is about to cheat me?

Clarification: those are Euro sizes. Thanks.

- B

tell him to make the newest style side vents. they extend to the shoulder. it gives the jacket a very airy feel. and gives you a chance to show off your dainty tush.
look deep into his baby blue eyes, he would never cheat you then.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
tell him to make the newest style side vents. they extend to the shoulder. it gives the jacket a very airy feel. and gives you a chance to show off your dainty tush.
look deep into his baby blue eyes, he would never cheat you then.

The newest style side vents sound swish.

One final question: is it better to...

(a) use a fantastic alterations tailor, one who transforms a medicre fit into one that is good, but who charges a lot, and, therefore, is cheating you, or...

(b) an alterations tailor who does horrible work, but who charges little, and therefore, is not cheating you and who provides a lot of value for the money?

I would ask Despos, but I hear that he charges a lot even with my discount...and we know what that means.

Thanks.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Around when did they branch beyond the Californian carriage trade?

- B

at the same time california got its own pizza.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
at the same time california got its own pizza.

When I saw Pumping Iron as a teenager, I admit that it did not occur to me that I was watching a show about a man who would be robot, a barbarian, a governor of California, and a Kennedy via a Shriver.

This is the reason why I read teh StyleForvm threads with hawklike focus, because someone in here is both another robot and another governor. I am sure of it.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I have a nice array of old tradly Talbotts. Generally 3" regimental stripes, with the regiment identified on the tag.

All cut the wrong (i.e., descending from the right) direction, no? All the ones I have are like that, as was (I recall) his entire catalogue. At the time none of us knew any better. In hindsight, I assume he was copying BB, which was the first store to do that (and for all I know the first store to make or sell striped ties in the US).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The newest style side vents sound swish.

One final question: is it better to...

(a) use a fantastic alterations tailor, one who transforms a medicre fit into one that is good, but who charges a lot, and, therefore, is cheating you, or...

(b) an alterations tailor who does horrible work, but who charges little, and therefore, is not cheating you and who provides a lot of value for the money?

I would ask Despos, but I hear that he charges a lot even with my discount...and we know what that means.

Thanks.

- B

dammed if i can figure it out. oh and you get a discount? all i get is a surcharge.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
dammed if i can figure it out. oh and you get a discount? all i get is a surcharge.

Yes, I get a Despos Discount. I have not used it yet, because he is always one city ahead, like The Fugitive.

And I am surprised that you still get stuff made. I always assumed you were in pajamas and Sulka dressing gown all day, like Hefner.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
All cut the wrong (i.e., descending from the right) direction, no? All the ones I have are like that, as was (I recall) his entire catalogue. At the time none of us knew any better. In hindsight, I assume he was copying BB, which was the first store to do that (and for all I know the first store to make or sell striped ties in the US).

Hasn't this just become the proper American way to do it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hasn't this just become the proper American way to do it?

It's the American way, but it's improper.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the American way, but it's improper.

Eh. But this way, you're not really claiming you belong to the regiment.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Eh. But this way, you're not really claiming you belong to the regiment.

That was the idea, I believe.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, good: you're here. I have a question for you.

I got a size 36 jacket on teh eBay, but I am a size 58. What should I tell my alterations tailor, and most importantly, how do I tell if he is about to cheat me?

Clarification: those are Euro sizes. Thanks.

- B

Your plan to pass for a twelve-year old proceeds apace.

(i) shave legs
(ii) wear 26" jacket
(iii) profit ???

This is the reason why I read teh StyleForvm threads with hawklike focus, because someone in here is both another robot and another governor. I am sure of it.

Think Bladerunner, Dekker. He's closer than you think.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, they're going the "wrong" way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was the idea, I believe.

Then, as I'm American and don't belong to a regiment, the wrong way is the proper way for me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Then, as I'm American and don't belong to a regiment, the wrong way is the proper way for me.

Any Englishman who cares about Yanks improperly wearing his regimental colors is going to be pissed off whether your stripes go the right way or the wrong way.

And the right way looks better.

I solve this problem by not wearing striped ties in the UK. Over here, no one notices and no one cares.

Also, some regimentals -- like the Brigade of Guards tie -- are so much a part of the dressing lexicon that they have transcended the original link. Saying that only a Guardsman could wear it would be like insisting that only a polo player can wear a polo coat.

However, unusual and rare designs like the Royal Artillery really should be worn only by those who have "earned" it. I used to have one of those, but I felt guilty about it so I gave it away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads