• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really skinny guy needs style- and wardrobe building advices!

Green_Pinguin

Reaction score
Hello styleforum,

first I know that, there are similiar threads like this and hope it`s ok starting my own. I`ve readed them, have special questions now and want to be sure, that I had understand all right.

I`ve noted that I didn`t like most of my clothes, nothing fits right, or is looking to boyish in my eyes for a 21 years old guy. So I`ve deciced chaning that and starting with a buyling plan for building up a good looking minimalistic wardrobe. I would be glad, if you could give me some feedback on my list.

Jeans:

2 pair of skinny blue raw denim (think of Nudie Thin Finn, High Kai, A.P.C NC, or maybe Acne women`s jeans models, because I have a 27/34 in Jeans and it`s difficult to get something)
1 pair of skinny black raw denim

Hoodies & Knit Sweaters:

2 Zip hoodies
1 Hoodie
2 C-Neck Sweater
2 V-Neck Sweater
1 V-Neck Cardigan
1 Shawl Cardigan

I plan on getting it all in black and bring in color over accessoirs in my outfit.

Button Down Shirts:

6 Shirts in a check pattern (long- and short sleeve)
4 longsleeve dress shirts (different colors)

T-shirts and Polos:

5 C-Neck (different colors)
5 V-Neck (different colors)
and maybe 3 striped polos

Shoes:

1 pair of nice boots (1000 Mile Boots, Red Wings GT or something similar)
1 pair of black Converse Chucks

Coat:

I think that I go with the Diesel Wittor pea coat in black, because i like the details on it a lot
and the cut is very sleeky, so that could work good with skinny jeans.

Accessoirs:

2 - 3 cashmire scarves for winter in different colors and paterns
1 black beanie
1 pair of black leather gloves
some jewelery

Now I have a couple of questions:

Do you have general style advices for skinny body builds or special styles I could looking for?
Are there a few absolute clothing do`s and don`ts for this body type?

Thanks for your help!

hooya2

Reaction score
i would not try and get all this at once

stinger70

Reaction score
I wear 28x34 in RAW jeans (they all stretch to 30-32 inches) So we probably have a similar build. Im 6'1 for reference. Firstly as the post above said, dont even think about buying this all at once! You will make a ton of mistakes and then realise you blew all your money. I would suggest getting ONE pair of raw blue denim, breaking them in for a couple of months, and seeing how they react and how the size turns out. You may wish you sized down more for example, and then you will be able to use this knowledge to buy future pairs. Otherwise, you will end up with 4 pairs of jeans that dont fit. I wore my first raws for 18 months before looking for another pair....they are pretty versatile so you dont need many at this stage.

As for hoodies and sweaters, first off dont get it all in black, what are you thinking!? I dont wear colourful clothes but at least get a variety of greys, blues, blacks etc. Uniqlo is the place to go for these. The hoodies are a perfect fit for tall slim guys, you will need size small. The vintage terry hoodie is the best one.

Same with shirts. Buy one or two cheaper ones and see what works and what doesnt! Definitley look for slim fit. If you buy everthing at once your tastes will change and you will regret most of it.

For reference, have a look on my posting history and you can see several WAYWT pictures of my fits...they will give you an idea of how i think a skinny body should be dressed fit wise, although you may not like my style it gives you a starting point.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior 17.5cm and Nudie Thin Finn are both great cuts that come in 27.

Don't do this though.

3 Cashmere scarves and 2 shoes? What?

Why do you want 2 pairs of raw denim? So you don't have nothing to wear when the other pair is in the wash that whole 1 day of the year?

My advice is: **** all this **** and go gothninja.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Dior 17.5cm and Nudie Thin Finn are both great cuts that come in 27.

Don't do this though.

3 Cashmere scarves and 2 shoes? What?

Why do you want 2 pairs of raw denim? So you don't have nothing to wear when the other pair is in the wash that whole 1 day of the year?

My advice is: **** all this **** and go gothninja.

Well some people dont like wearing the same jean every other day?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bulk of your money should go into shoes and outerwear. As mentioned, 1 pair of jeans is enough. 2 pairs of shoes is certainly not enough. I have 5 pairs of shoes that I wear regularly and I still don't feel like it's enough. For example, here's how I think a shoe collection should look:

1 pair brown oxfords
1 pair black oxfords(optional...I personally don't like black shoes)
1 pair casual summery boot(desert boot or chukkas or something)
1 pair boat shoes(optional)
1 pair pub crawling shoes(I use chucks)
At least 1 pair of decent sneakers(I went GATs)
1 pair heavier fall/winter boot(I went with LL Bean Katahdin)

I'm probably missing something, but you get the idea. Different shoes serve different functions and 2 pairs is certainly not gonna do it.

Also, striped polos are fugly. The only polo I own is a solid black one I got at target on sale for $4 because I wanted to look like James Bond. For the most part, polos look like high school and I think really should only be worn by guys that are pretty well built(from your description this is NOT you).

There's nothing wrong with buying cheap stuff to start off with. For example, when I decided to overhaul my wardrobe I went to Macy's and bought just a solid blue oxford shirt off the sale rack for like $20 and took it to a tailor. Once I decided I was happy with how it fit, I used it as a reference for buying other clothes(took the measurements of it and compared it with clothes I bought online).

Not sure why you want 3 hooded sweatshirts, either.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb

Those people probably aren't posting in SW&D.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THEN DON'T BUY RAW DENIM
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green_Pinguin
I plan on getting it all in black and bring in color over accessoirs in my outfit.
Don't do this. Also, don't buy everything at once. You WILL regret it. Buy pieces slowly here and there and build up your wardrobe over time. Having a single pair of jeans is unreasonable - one indigo and one gray could be a good idea.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
THEN DON'T BUY RAW DENIM
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Exactly.

And if you're THAT paranoid about wearing the same jeans daily(you shouldn't be), buy one pair of raws and another pair of cheap jeans like Levis or something. No point in 2 raw pairs.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Exactly.

And if you're THAT paranoid about wearing the same jeans daily(you shouldn't be), buy one pair of raws and another pair of cheap jeans like Levis or something. No point in 2 raw pairs.

True, it's just most people don't even know what raw denim is. If you wear the same raw jeans everyday they will just question you why you're wearing the same jeans everyday.

But ya thats what I'm doing...buying 1 raw + Levis.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who don't know what raw denim is usually don't care enough about fashion to notice what jeans you're wearing.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
True, it's just most people don't even know what raw denim is. If you wear the same raw jeans everyday they will just question you why you're wearing the same jeans everyday.
Wrong, they'll think you got a new pair of jeans everyday. I wear the same jeans every day and whenever someone sees them they go "are those new jeans?" Yes beeyotch they are. and
ffffuuuu.gif
to this thread

Cote

Reaction score
Nudie Grim Tim's and Thin Finn's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads