• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really nice jacket, never heard of the brand.

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Greetings.

My dad was nice enough to give me his old denim jacket, which i plan to stud and patch up.

One thing about it deters me from doing that.

I have never heard of Mecanic denim, and i would like to find out if the old thing is worth something. I really have no idea how old the brand or the jacket is.

Its a size 44.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it may have lots of sentimental value, I don't think it has much monetary value.

Sigmeow

Reaction score
I was afraid it was something like Levi's big E denim. A good old fashioned old school brand that might have appreciated in value, ya know?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ask your dad where he got it?

Label looks like something you'd see on a K-mart garment in the 70s, frankly. (Take it from one who was there--I was a K-mart doorguard circa 1975-77)

Sigmeow

Reaction score
Apparently It was from a store called Gemco. Pretty much old school wal-mart.

Thanks, guys.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It looks okay, though. There was a lot of awful looking stuff in the 70s, and at least this looks fairly straightforward, much like a regular Levis jacket (except much lighter).

I wouldn't mess with it, personally, as far as adding anything to it or patching it. Just wear it, use it for what it is.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmeow
...which i plan to stud and patch up.

uhoh.gif

Just don't get out the be-dazzler...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you want to turn this into a punk jacket. Pyramid or cone studs? Also, are you going to place them in a particular design, or go all out Casualties-style?
thecasualties.jpg

Sigmeow

Reaction score
I'm going to go for a more conservative style with the patches.

If i put any patches on this thing, I will make most of em myself. Probably the star on the cover of the necronomicon-its a fancy looking pentagram.

I have a grip of pyramid studs, so I will use those. I might also get a few cones for the shoulders, perhaps making a pattern, using the big cones for lines.

Why am I doing this?

Why not. It was either let it sit around in my dad's closet till he died and give it to goodwill, or punk it the hell out, have some fun, and watch my old man **** a brick?

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmeow
Why not. It was either let it sit around in my dad's closet till he died and give it to goodwill, or punk it the hell out, have some fun, and watch my old man **** a brick?
Nice. Way to resect the person who gives you a gift.

robbie_cat

Reaction score
While it would be cool to see if this old handed-down jacket is worth something, you have to decide what is worth more to you- the monetary value or being able to proudly express yourself? My dad actually gave me his old Levi's denim jacket...in one day, I cut the sleeves, put a row of silver studs along the shoulders, studded the front pockets, put green studs along the seams of the lower pockets; I also had a shirt that had a design I really liked, but it's far too large for me, so it's now safety-pinned to the back, waiting to be sewn on
smile.gif

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I'm assuming you want to turn this into a punk jacket.

Pyramid or cone studs? Also, are you going to place them in a particular design, or go all out Casualties-style?

thecasualties.jpg

back in 10th grade i booked the casualties a show. they cancelled the day of. i confronted jorge about it months later. he gave me a free pair of bondage pants I ended up selling for like $100 to some girl senior year of high school.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I love Gemco That was the place.
Gemco became Target, a change for the better. btw, dont know if you got the notice, but punk is dead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads