• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Realizing shirt/tie/jacket combo is off after you leave home

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually carry two spare ties in my bag, one plain and one knit (mostly for emergencies) as well as spare cuff links.
laugh.gif
But if there is a conflict, and if I have no other ties, I'd just take it off.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on what I am doing while out. If I am at work I just leave it as nobody will notice or care. If I am out lollygagging I am neurotic enough to actually go back home and change. If I can't I just go with it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Do you ditch the tie or just tide it out?

Take it on the chin...

You can take it out as soon as you leave the office..

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Depends on what I am doing while out. If I am at work I just leave it as nobody will notice or care. If I am out lollygagging I am neurotic enough to actually go back home and change. If I can't I just go with it.

My boss actually just complimented the look. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that no one really scrutinizes our clothes the way that we do.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My boss actually just complimented the look. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that no one really scrutinizes our clothes the way that we do.
The human brain is highly attuned to spotting differences in the order of things, while drowning out the usual status quo and treating it as background noise. And the default polite position is to compliment someone's clothing when you notice it. Since differences from the norm get noticed, and something that gets noticed gets complimented, something different usually gets complimented -- even if that compliment is not always sincere. Incidentally, this is why people on SF occasionally (and mistakenly) regard compliments-received as a measure of a successful outfit. Sometimes it's just the opposite.

alexanduh

Reaction score
ive done this. i just go through the day thinking ****.

JG000

Reaction score

+1000

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Whenever possible I just buy a new tie...

It typically happens when I'm travelling, and am getting dressed at 5am - and then I end up looking for ties at Heathrow. Last time this happened I then managed to spill coffee on a new woven Hermès. Very frustrating. Luckily Jeeves (the dry cleaners, not the mythical valet) managed to restore it

If this happens when I'm in the office it is easily resolved - I normally have a few ties there, and as I work in St James' it's not exactly hard to pop out for a new tie

inlandisland

Reaction score
I hang in there and consider it a lesson learned - although sometimes I clash on purpose.

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
It would have to be a massive problem for me to ditch it. I would try to get through with bravado and elan. On the other hand, I did go home and change once because I realized I was wearing brown shoes and a black belt.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for reference, this is the combo:

photo.JPG

Ouch...

I can't belieive you really thought for one second that was a good idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads